Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Who does a quiz actually grade

OK I may be old fashioned on this but if you have a group f students and they all fail an exam it is not their fault but yours. I look at quizzes as a measuring device for me more than for the students. If the majority of the students failed the quiz then i have let them down by not educating them in a way that they understand. So i need to regroup and rethinh the way i covered the material not the exam. Just my thoughts

Hi William:
Well, you are very accomodating. I think you may have a point about doing all you can to assist your students perform well - that's commendable. I would ask how did they all get to be "F" students to start with?

It seems unusual and out of the norm for all the students to be failing. Perhaps, in that case, there would be a correlation between the student doing poorly due to the inefficient performance of the instructor.

But your basic point is wortyh considering. We do have a responsibility to analyze student performance and make needed adjustments.

Regards, Barry

I left out a letter the f students was supposed to be of students ---a group of students ---- my fault. But even so you did not understand what i was trying to say it is not the students fault but mine for not conveying the information to them in a way they understand

Hi William:

I understand your point. Thanks for clarifying.

Regards, Barry

What if you feel they did not read the textbook? What if they do not turn in homework assignments?
What if there are other issues that detract from how you can teach the material?
I also feel that I let them down, but I know I am trying to reach them. Are they trying to receive the material?

HELLO PROFESSOR,
GOOD QUESTIONS. I FEEL THAT QUIZES AND TEST ARE A MEASSURING STICK BY WHICH NOT ONLY STUDENTS ARE MEASSURED BUT INSTRUCTORS AS WELL, THEREFORE IT WOULD BE IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE INSTRUCTORS TO MAKE SURE THE MATERIAL COVERED IS IN FACT REACHING THE STUDENTS. IN MY CASE, WHAT I TRY TO DO IS INVOLVE THE STUDENTS THROUGHOUT THE COURSE OF THE CLASS AND TAKE A FEW MINUTES AT THE END OF THE CLASS TO REVIEW THE MATERIAL COVERED AND THRU PARTICIPATION ON THE PART OF THE STUDENTS I THEN MAKE AN ASSESMENT OF THEIR LEARNINGS PRIOR TO TAKE AN EXAM.

THE QUIZ ACTUALLY GRADES THE STUDENT AND THE INSTRUCTOR.

The quiz grades a students knowledge of the subject matter learned and evaluates the instructors ability to effectively teach the material.

Hi Andrew:
I would agree that good quizzes can assess knowledge. They can also merely determine "correct information". What is the difference? Every course should have clearly defined student learning outcomes. A good quiz will assess the students competence with these outcomes. It would do no good to have students getting 100% on quizzes but not learning what they need for their work place.

Regards, Barry

you could not of said that better.we must be versitile in are teaching because not everybody learns the same way. and quizes will let you know how your doing more than the students.

Hi Michael:
No doubt about it, well constructed quizzes can assess student knowledge and progress. My emphasis here is on "well constructed". Caution that we don't hastily put together something we think the students should know withouit assuring we aptly prepared them for the assessment.

Regards, Barry

I also think that the quiz lets the instructor know how well he or she is teaching and if he or she is covering all the material and learning styles

Hi Rory:
Yes, quizzes test knowlege. In many cases that will sufficient enough for the level of performance expected of students. As effective as quizzes can be, there is no assurance that learning has occured. Teaching and learning are really two different animals.

Regards, Barry

The quiz grades a students knowledge of the subject matter.

Hi Joe:
Well, good quizes may, but not all quizes are constructed well to begin with. If the quiz has been preceded by a thorogh learning experience, and the instructor quizes that information, then I think you'd be right on!

Regards, Barry

I agree. If the majority of students fail on specific quizes or areas of a test then their was some sort of miscommunication or something was not delivered. This is an evalution for the intructor. And a good time to cover material not received or understood.

Hi Clayton:
I have to say that this situation reflects as much on the teacher as it does the stdents. It's possible it was a difficult question, but more likely, the teacher failed to connect effectively. Good, humble self evaluation is a good remedy here.

Regards, Barry

I keep track of every answer students get wrong to see if there is a pattern. If there is, I adjust the way I deliver that material.

Hi Gregory:
Good deal. I think most experienced teachers are willing to adjust their students grades based on missed answers when they realize the question is poorly written, unclear, or simply incomplete or erroneous.

Following up, the next time that information comes up in discussion or class, the correct information can be conveyed, and an appropriate question written for the test.

Regards, Barry

This topic is another reason to know your audience – the more you can read their mannerisms in class and lab the better off you tend to be on test day.

Sign In to comment