Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being Yourself

As a new instructor years ago I tried to be just like my Mentor. Needless to say it didn't work. Even though he was an outstanding instructor, his style didn't fit my personality and it showed in the effectiveness of my product. It's great to observe other instructors and "steal" good ideas but you have to find out how to make it fit your style.

Hi Steven:

Absolutely important point. If this were not true, we'd all be clones of one another and the quality of education would tank.

Regards, Barry

I agree so much with your point .When I stared as an instructor I had a great mentor and something I learn from him was, to be my self and that way ,I will rish more to my students.

I agree that you have to be yourself. You are who you are and your personality will never change. I value my student teaching experiences so much because I was able to observe so many different teaching styles. I could relate to some and others...well...I just couldn't understand why anyone would ever want to teach that way. I found during my observations that I would think about how I would teach the class differently.

I love my job and I believe it shows. I also take into consideration that the students, have families, jobs, troubles and I take the time to talk with them and try to help if I can. Don;t we all have families, problems etc. I also feel very comfortable with teaching, I make it fun and worthwhile for the students.

When I became an instructor 3 years ago I had no idea what I was getting into. But as time went by I found that being myself and not trying to do as others do helps. I still learn from my fellow instructors as they do from me, but I feel each instructor has to devleop his own technique.

Hi Tom:
Yes, I agree different personalities doesn't have much to do with teach abilities. A good teacher uses all the resources they have access to, and that would include instructional methods of their peers. That experience is then translated by the receiver in their own unique way.

Regards, Barry

I think that being yourself show's your students that you are human just like them.It also help's to put your student's at ease.

Hi William:
I think you are correct in stating that students will respect you as an individual and instructor to a greater degree when there is absent any pretentious behavior or actions that are perceived as being unapproachable.

We want to be apprached, and our passion is to convey the valued information we have to impart. That won't occur as effectively if students feel alienated from their instructor.

Regards, Barry

I agrre with you. the fact is, if you try and emulate someone elses teaching style the students can tell its not you. be genuine it will be a good product in the end.

Hi Michael:
Yes, being genuine is important. It takes confidence, experience, content knowledge, and humility, all attributes that reside within us all, but sometimes need an environment for development - such as the classroom.

Regards, Barry

Confidence, experience, content knowledge, and humility, all attributes that are needed in the classroom.

Hi Joe:
Experienced individuals bring all these attributes into the classroom. When initiated with humility and fairness, the students will quickly grow to respect and listen (and learn) from that instructor.

Regards, Barry

I found that it is a much smoother presentation if you just be yourself. Everyone has their own style.

Hi Micahel:
Yes, there are many styles. The imporatnt thing is that information gets transfered effectively ( i.e., learning has occured).

Regards, Barry

Absolutely. Students want instructors who themselves and not someone they wish they were. Students spot fake immediately.

Hi Steve:
It really is easier to be oneself that to try to be like another or not yourself. Honesty, sincerity, humility - these and other important attributes occur when the instructor is self assured and comfortable with who they are.

Regards, Barry

I would add that some of the only things I remember about my instructors on the undergraduate and graduate levels were their personalities and their passion for their subjects.

Hi Larry:
Wow - passion, what an awesome attribute to display and personify. It makes a difference, as it did for you!

Regards, Barry

I'm finding that sometimes being yourself is not always effective for me. Often times I have to get into a more stern role to get students attention and to get them moving, as my field requires a lot of physicality and constant mechanical motion. It also requires time management and discipline that younger students just plain don't understand even with instructors and other students around them setting the example.

Sign In to comment