Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

PowerPoint Presentations and pre-printing the materials

I create the Powerpoint presentations for my classes. I print the slides out (3 to a page) and give them to the students before class. This way, students aren't "copying" the slides and are taking notes based upon my lectures.

Hi Doreen:
You've described an effective use for PPT presentations. This also allows students to add their own notes, references, and comments to be reviewed at a later time.

To contrast, some instructors are reluctant to hand out copies of their slides beforehand because they feel that students will look ahead and get distracted or not pay as close attention.

Another variation is passing out the complete slides after the lecture so the student will have access to the information the instructor has provided but requires the student to take their own notes (and pay attention) during the presentation.

I don't think there is a specific right or wrong way to handle slide copies using PPT. The instructor has to decide what works best for a given situation (as you have). But there are alternatives that can be used, a few of which I've described.

Regards, Barry

I have done this in the past with great success. I think that if the students can add their own notes on top of what you give them they retain more than if they are copying everything down.

I also print copies of the power points for my students because it is easier for them to highlight the material that is important, which allows for a better flow of information and a less chance of them not getting the informaation at all or not being able to read their hand writing.

Hi Lawrence:
A lot of instructors utilize the slide printout method you describe. Although it's possible students can read ahead, as you state, at least they'll have the information in hand and in with necessities you want to provide.

Regards, Barry

Hi Michael:
Great!. Your utilizing multiple senses, and that serves to reinforce the learning process.

Regards, Barry

I will print out the slides for the students if the class is not large. Sometimes, I will instruct the students themselves to where they can print out the PP presentations themselves so they have it on hand for the class. Putting it in a location where the students can access it easily I found makes it easier to use PP, as well as help teach the students how to follow instructions.

Hi Donald:
Great. Access allows reference at another time, or can be used for study or to ask for clarification.

Regards, Barry

Since I put my PowerPoint on the students' portals and they can print them at leisure, I do not generally distribute them. They can do so on their own and I am not uselessly killing trees.

Doreen
I done the same and the sudent are please.

I create PowerPoints for my class and I find them to be very effective. Students are more likely to pay attention when a bright and shiny presentation is infront of them. I find if the presentation is colorful with moving parts, students are more engaged.

I supply the students with PowerPoint’s, but I delete some of the words so that the students are activity listening to the presentation.

E.g.

Student's PowerPoint

When making bread _________ development is important.

Instructor PowerPoint

When making bread gluten development is important

Hi Barry,

I agree it could be beneficial for the student if you give them a copy of the slides. However, if we do this, what would be the reason for them purchasing and reading their text?
Would this take away from their education, if we give them these slides?

Hi Michael,

I like to idea of the students adding their own notes. However, not all students will do this unless you tell them that they will be graded on it as well. I think this would be fine depending on the students you have.

Hi Andy:
Well, this practice is controversial. But I would argue that a good PPT presentation is only a summary guide of the main points that the instructor has elaborated on and still requires referencing the textbook for testing and or assessment.

There have been times I've been asked for the slide summary and I've waited until after the presentation to distribute. So, I guess for me, it depends on the topic and what the expectation for the slides are.

Regards, Barry

Micahel:
Another good comment to the postings.

Barry

i also have ppt's like the above. There are 'blanks' they need to fill in as i'm talking. It seems to work good for my class.

Hi Gail:
This works for me too, although I don't always use it. It's kind of like the older overhead projector days, when a teacher could slowly reveal just some parts of an overhead slide and discuss the points that were partially visible. Fill in questions wre added following a discussion point, or just part of the presentation, like PPT does now.

Regards, Barry

I agree this is a good way to do things. I use to do this until are school went green, now I email the student the power points and then suggest they copy them three to a page for note taking or they can use their IPAD/tablet to pull upand take notes. Y.Kiernan

Yvonne,
Green is good. I stopped printing handouts altogether. The students can view the slides on their laptops, take notes, and follow along with the lecture. They can choose to make copies, but since they have the PPT slides already, most choose not to copy. Another reason is my PPT slides are very brief, just to guide me for lecture.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment