Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Senses in Learning

Anyone know of ways we can help our students move their senses to “high alert” so that they will, more easily, absorb what is required?

Make up tests

For a few people, taking a test can be a traumatic experiance. Some people don't take tests well but are very good with tactile tests.At our institute, we have tests that are already made up. We as instructors don't change them. I will however, proctor make-up tests at the convience of the student. Now there has to be some specific time frame agreed on and adhered to. If left go long enough, the student will loose the info and usually will do poorly on the test.

powerpoint

powerpoint is a very nice form of instuction because it can be easily updated with out redoing the complete lesson.

Choosing Test Questions which are relevant to the subject covered

A student approached me upset, the other day and asked me why there were 2 questioned on an exam, that she had just taken. The subject was American Cuisine and the two questions were about 3 types of mushrooms found in a region and the other about a famous fish market in the Northwest. Her point was that she had studied all of what she thought was relevant and did not find those particular questions relevant.She said, of all the questions that could of been asked, why those?. I researched the test and discovered that the 2 questions were covered… >>>

Ready,set go!

One must enjoy what they do. You must be passionate about the material, confident with the material, enjoy the work surroundings and the people they work with.Prepare for the class, be early, be ready with the material you will be needing on a daily basis. Don't continually leave the room for things you forgot. The students see you aren't ready for them and that can reflect how they percieve and react if you aren't ready and you really don't care about what you do or who you have infront of you. The student's can sence weaknesses in you and your… >>>

visitors

visitors to your class are a benifit to your class if you pick a good interesting person. He/she should have an interest in the field you are instucting. they can motivate students to do better, if they give the students an idea of what is expected of them in their future careers.

Anticipating Problems

For the most part, our students are wonderful young people and our experience with them is/ if we do a good job - positive and rewarding. Everyone, however, has occasional problems, and a few issues can eat up enomrous amounts of time and energy. *Maintain good documentation of things such as attendance, work submitted, copies of communications with students. *Make your expectations clear and follow your own policies.

My opinion one type of evaluation is Authentic Assessment. Is that it values the thinking behind work, the process, as much as the finished product. I use authentic assessment on lab time. The courses that I teach are four weeks and time management is really at the top of my priorities but, when it comes to the point of lab performance assessment is the key. I will like to use more the authentic assessment it in the future, may be on a different course with more time.

Training and Instruction?

How do you differentiated instruction in your classroom?

Instructors come in all shapes and sizes?

In your opinion, what students benefit the most from differentiated instruction? In my opinion I truly believe that all students will benefit from differentiated instruction. I also understand that not only the student but, also the instructor (teacher) will benefit from it. “It’s a win win situation”.

evaluation methods

I believe that evaluation methods can be the most difficult part of the teaching process simply because numbers on a single line deduce a student's educational profile. That's why I also do invididual conferencing throughout the semester/quarter. In fact, I do at LEAST three of the course of the semester/quarter and I find that to be a very effective method both for me as the instructor and my students.

Back-ups

Back-up plans are a must! I did not run into an issue with this area of education until my second year of teaching. Past experiences typically left me with too little time, NEVER too much time. Fortunately, I was able to recover, but that was the first and ONLY time I will walk into a classroom without a back-up plan!

PowerPoints

In my past classrooms, I have used very few Powerpoint presentations because I traditionally use discussion, group work, and individual activities in order to conduct my curriculum. However, I am planning on becoming more familiar with the software in order to use them more often in class. As of now, I require each student in a business class that I teach to give a PowerPoint presentation and follow-up those presentations with question and answer sessions. This method has seemd to work well in my classroom.

Guest Speakers/Field Trips

I think, if possible, a combination between a guest speaker and field trip can be quite effective. First, introduce a speaker from a particular business into the classroom and then to further reiterate and reinforce your objectives, take the class to the place of business your speaker was from. Then they can both hear and see the workings of a particular business.

Sharing Student Grades

Other than on the last day of the course(s) you teach, how many times do you share the cumulative scores with your students to let them know their status? Why is this of benefit to you and/or your students?

Too little verses too much

As instructors in our particular field we can have students in our classes that are at two ends of the ability spectrum. Some have very little exposure and very little perceived aptitude. Others may already be working in our field and have very high exposure and perceived aptitude. Considering both of these types of students, how do you adapt your methods to achieve the most successful outcome for both?

Instructional Delivery Methods

What 2 instructional delivery methods are you most successful with, enjoy the most and why? What 2 instructional delivery methods are you least successful with, enjoy the least and why?

Your Educational Orchestra

After reflecting on the section titled "Observing your Educational Settings", how do you prepare to conduct your educational orchestra? Specifically what do you do to make the physical settings accommodating, prepare yourself as the educational leader and select the best materials and delivery methods?

Make up Exams

When a students is absent for an exam,it's a good idea to give them a different axam than the original,to keep them honest.....

Attention

The most important aspect of lecture is to keep the students interest,and have them actively involved......