Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Organization is the key to success

Organization and preparation demonstrate to students your professionalism. It shows that you are committed to assisting students in their learning experience.

Hi Doreen:
I think you're right. It's very difficult to fake or be insincere about professionalism. That's a trait best taught by example.

Of course, preparation and organization are subtexts of the professionalism attribute. And I think students are quick to pick up on the ill-prepared or disorganized instructor pretty quickly. Ultimately, these undesirable traits contribute to students trusting less and respect for the instructor diminished to some degree.

Regards, Barry

Without organization and structure there will be chaos. You must be prepared to teach your lesson and even have extra activities for those students who will finish first. Knowing what type of instructor you are does help only if you are willing to address your weaknesses. Yes, by doing this the students will respect your professionaliam and be committed to learning.

I have found this to be true regarding professionalism and the students response to it. Every day you set the example to which students are to emulate at the start of class and thru out the time they're there. When you maintain this appearance and attitude students will come to respect you and your guidance throughtout their classroom expierence. Teaching is not done by words alone.

Hi Tony:
Yes, students really do look to us as role models and evry and anything that reinforces those qualities of profesionalism is extremely worthwhile.

Regards, Barry

I completely agree. Organization and structure are key to success, especially in the classroom. When we accept responsibilty for our mistakes, it allows the students to see us as people too and their respect will grow. It is safer to say, "I don't know, but I can find out," or "I don't know the answer to that, can you do some research and bring the correct information back to the class?" than to give the wrong information.

Hi Judy:
Great response! It is always better to admit you're not sure about rather than to try and fake it, possibibly giving the wrong information. Also, I think this kind of honestry goes a long way towards building the students trust and respect.

Regards, Barry

I TOTALLY AGREE, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I HAVE LEARNED IN MY PROFESSIONAL CAREER IS THAT A WELL PREPARED AND ORGANIZED CHEF CAN OVERCOME, EXCEL AND SUCCEED AT ANY CHALLENGE IN FRONT OF HIM/HER, AND IT ALSO SENDS THE MESSAGE TO THE STUDENTS ABOUT THE LEVEL OF HIS/HERS PROFESSIONALISM, KNOWLEDGE AND COMMITMENT, AND IT'S THEN WHEN RESPECT AND TRUST BEGINS TO BUILD.

Jose:
Good! Professionalism at every level underscores the importance of the lesson and adds to the credibility of the instructor and school.

Regards, Barry

That's too true. A lack of organization in the classroom is akin to having a room full of small kids with no direction from an adult. Utter and total chaos!
Being well organized will give the instructor confidence to proceed with the lesson that will show through to the students and make them more receptive. The more confident the instructor, the more confidence the students will have in him or her. And of course, that creates a great learning environment.

Hi Cindy:
Whoa! A room full of kids. Yikes! But you're right, it's akin to chaos (at least the potential for). Humans respond to organization and order. If we can provide that in the classroom, the students will benefit from those efforts.

Regards, Barry

I always beleive that the honest approach is the best to build trust and confidance in an instuctor. You may get away with faking the facts once or twice, but once you are caought, your reputation with the student body at large suffers. If your incoming students already doubt your knowledge it is almost impossible to create an effective learning enviornment.

Hi Christine:
I agree. And hopefully a class will not be filled with lots of errors.

That said, I also think a sincere apology and recognition from the instructor goes a long way towards minimizing the confidence the students have in their instructor.

Regards, Barry

I agree students notice when your not organized.

Hi Evelyn:
Yes, it's true - they notice. But in noticing, they also may not put their all into it either. Evidence of that is they fail to pay attention, don't actively participate, fail to do assignments (or put in minimal effort), are disengaged and appear disinterested in the lessons.

Compare that to an environment that's lively, full of enthusiasm, with an excited teacher who has all their "stuff" ready for students and the course runs seamlessly. It almost makes the learning smoother with students wanting to participate. When the teacher is prepared, it gives respect to the student, and they tend to return the sentiment.

Regards, Barry

I agree. I believe if the instructor is not organized then the students will not be. i believe it can take a lot of stress off of the instructor to be organized and also make it more smooth to run from one topic to another!

Hi Tracy:
Yes. I like to use the term "seamless". From the students perspective, a well organized classroom and teacher appears to seamlessly move from one activity or topic to the next, with each new topic ready to go - material and resources at hand. Prepared and down to business. Students will feel more relaxed when they sense the teacher has everything uinder control.

Regards, Barry

I have taken to preparing a packet of all assignments which I hand to the students on the first day of class. Additionally, the assignments are on their class portal, the classroom white board and syllabus. Finally, I have the students sign an acknowledgement that they have received the syllabus, assignment packet and are aware that all assignments are available on the portal. As a final reminder for the students, I list all the assignments (and dates due) on the acknowledgement sheet - they keep one copy. Then, when a student tries to assert that he or she was unaware an assignment was due, I gently remind them that it is on the syllabus and portal while standing in front of the white board.

I find that this structure and organization has helped my students complete assignments in a timely fashion.

Louise Xifo

Louise,
Wow, very thorough. I have some instructors who do most of these similar activities, and yet with all this information, I still find there are those that miss assignments, are unclear, or confused about requirements. It's like we need to constantly remind and do some hand holding. Shouldn't have to, I know, but my focuis is student learning. If I can help a student, even if I have repeated the information, I'm inclined to give an assist. I put this in the category of being student centered.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment