Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am realizing that though I inately try to engage students in an active learning style, I am not quite hitting the mark. I usually still end up doing more of the lecturing and desperately trying to find ways to keep their eyes open during long lectures. If I put energy into coming up with active learning strategies and preparing the students ahead of class time that it can really help the whole situation. I also like that it can then reach a variety of learning styles.

Student has the responsibility to research, learn, share understand. Allows the students to work independently and share with the community.

I have found in the field in which I teach thta active learning to be far superior to lecturing. Lectures put students asleep, but if you have them doing a lab or other project, they obtain a more comprehensive understanding of what i being covered.

Active learning is crucial to the learning process. The method of delivery should ideally change every 15 minutes during synchronous learning to keep learners motivated And engaged 

Active learning is a crucial part of student development and their progress towards technical and affective knowledge. The learner, facilitator, and the learning content must be synched in the best possible way in order for higher level learning to occur. I have also incorporated some of the methods discussed in part one of EL113 course.

Online Learnig lets the student use their time wisely. Instructors should also be there for support on material that may not click for some individuals.

One of the things that stuck with me from my MSN was the role of the educator as facilitator and this aligns well with the presentation related to active learning. the instructor is there to faciliitate but the student is ultimately responsible for the learning. This is important to communicate with students as they may be used to a more passive learning environment. If the goal is for students to learn and RETAIN the content, they need to actively participate in the learning process. 

Active Learning is an essential element of instructing and preparing students for life in the 'real-world' upon graduation.

Perhaps as thinking changes, active learning should shift from being considered the extra step in lesson plans to being the core of lesson plans. This is not without its challenges in a context where new courses are needing development and the easier pathway may be lecture and discussion. As well, courses with dense content may require creative options.

Active learning for me is the best way. I have always felt the student should be incharge of their own learning. By active learning the student learns from real life situations and when they graduate they are prepared. I do feel the student learns better when they have fun learning.

In this module I learned about the importance of Active Learning in an online environment to assist students to become engaged and to facilitate learning.  The instructor becomes the facilitator of learning the concept and the student becomes accountable for their learning.  I like the thought of using different active learning strategies including gaming, group activities and case studies.  It is important for students to learn a concept (through active engagement) rather than just memorize it and then forget it.  The Core Elements were also discussed I think reflective writing, peer teaching and games are very useful in accomplishing the goal of active learning.    

It's interesting to me that I incorporated a lot of active learning in my classroom environment back in the day but can't make it translate to the online. 

For me it's difficult on finding the balance of everything. What I mean by that is pre covid we taught 100% in person, now since Covid we teach Hybrid by providing virtual and in person. However I find that with every class I'm having to changes the techniques that I teach to reach all strives of students so this falls under active learning. As an Instructor I can hand my students all the resources to achive their goal but it will still fall on them to learn and remember the information and apply it forward but then it also still falls on my shoulders if they don't achieve it. I will use this but constantly learning all ways of teaching and keep learning myself in general. It's funny because for even myself I was an active learner and student but needed that in person feeling however it didn't strive me away from being my best when it came time to apply what I didn't realized I learned but just putting into real life.

Active learning is very different in comparison to other ways of learning. Actively engaging students involves them in a way where learning is feasible and easier to comprehend. It involves more thinking than actually memorizing. Students need to be able to critically think and analyze their findings.

I plan to incorporate more group learning activities and convey to the class upfront that they are in charge of their own learning, I am here to facilitate and add to it.

Although the instructor is there to teach, they can also be seen as an educational coach. 

I have learned so many things from reading about active learning, including multiple ideas for engaging my students in synchronous and asynchonous classes. I love the idea of "student-centered" and "student-led" learning, as well as employing groups of students to find solutions to a problem. I can also envision implementing a "recall" of everything that students can remember from the past 20 minutes as well. This could be really effective in a Zoom meeting, letting students brainstorm and type responses into the chat. There are so many ways to actively engage students beyond the traditional lecture format, and these could really enhance and enrich the learning environment in an online class.

Instructors are the course facilitator who guides the student through thier learning jouney encouraging active learning. Instructors can adapt many active learning strategies to online courses. Online active learning can also provide new ways for students to interact, participate, and collaborate. For effective active learning, instructors should consider ways to combine practice with feedback, peer learning, and clear structure.

Poor technology within online classes = declining enrollment and discouraaed students. 

Rubrics can reduce time spent grading by allowing instructors to refer to a substantive description Also can help instructors more clearly identify strengths and weaknesses across an entire class and adjust their instruction appropriately.

Sign In to comment