Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active learning means that student are engaged in the class work and discussions.  It is more student-centered than teacher-centered.  The instructor is there to guide and facilitate rather than be a sage-on-the-stage presence.  In my own practice, I have students answer questions in chat, discuss together in small breakout rooms, and online whiteboards that allow students to show their thinking and see the thinking of others.

I like the information on what did you learn the last 15 mins.

My takeaway from this was that active learning is every a student is doing online or F2F in a classroom that doesn't have anything to do with passive lecture. I plan to make my lecture time more of a Q and A. Since they will be doing most of their work at home online they will be able to hear a short overview in class and ask any questions to clear up anything they maybe stuck on and then move to more hands on.  

I learned it is important as an instructor to mentally shift from the role of teacher or instructor to that of facilitator or mentor in a student's educational journey. It is important to meet students where they are so they will be able to critically think and engage with the material on their own terms and in a way more relevant for their purposes. With this approach, more meaningful learning will take place. 

Active learning gives students more agency and control over their learning than traditional methods.  This model abandons the "sage on the stage" for the student at the center of the classroom.  Active learning is collaborative with the teacher in a facilitator role.  This makes learning more engaging for the student and leads to better learning outcomes.  

Jigsaw activities where students teach their peers about a course-related subject or peer review activities are two examples of active learning methods.  

I think the students have plenty of assignments to do and many chances to learn what we'd like them to learn before we meet F2F. I have always wanted a balance between direct instruction and active learning. In the blended classroom it seems the best use of my time will be to help with any reinforcement of learning and addressing misconceptions.

The importance of less lecture and more student involvement.

A couple of things stuck with me 1) stepping away from "sage on the stage" and 2) r2d2.  I've taught for many years - and have practiced both sage on the stage and guide on the side.  

Active learning requires the students to learn as they absorb the material...this requires that the students engage more fully with the course content, and not simply copy information provided by an instructor. Critical thinking is involved at each step, and re-enforcement of key concepts helps retention of material by having the students "do" something aside from simply taking notes.

Students should take responsibility for their learning, instructors should not be lecturing and giving answers the students. I am going to make sure I am a facilitator and use different methods of modalities, such as videos, audio and peer review.

Active learning teaches students, to think critically and strengthen their writing skills.

I understand the importance of providing the students a chance to reflect and solve problems as they related to lecture. 

I really like the idea that "activities or assignments that increase students’ attention span and keep them engaged in the class, are at the heart of active learning..." It is refreshing that students are encouraged to take more responsibility for their learning, through the active learning environment. 

I am looking forward to discovering and implementing more active learning modules and activities in my algebra and stats courses.

I learned that students learn more effectively when actively engaged during their coursework. The student's learning experience also improves when they are encouraged to work in groups and to help their peers.

An instructor can approach one portion of the class with the Collaborative Learning Method by creating group activities, and grading the groups as a whole. Then they could later approach their class with the Cooperative Learning Method, still directing a group activity, but grading the students individually instead.

The cooperative method is similar to the way that a film or production crew would work together to create a project. They're all working together to create something, but are ultimately evaluated in their abilities as individuals in the workplace. I intend to apply this method more in my teaching to encourage teamwork, self-directed learning, and communication. All of these skills are essential to the line of work that they'd like to work in. 

I liked how they noted that the core elements of active learning activities were that students must read, write, discuss, reflect or be engaged in problem solving. And further, that there' are many different strategies that can work in both small and large group projects or individual activities.

Facilitating an active environment where an instructor takes the role of a coach is a refreshing approach towards educational content that emphasizes a hands on experience to let content sink in, and connects back to what I found were the most beneficial ways that I learned during higher ed. Recognizing what responsibilities fall on the shoulders of students during a course helps in understanding the role of a teacher and how to present lessons and activities

Student is responsible for their own learning - I am just there as their coach. Engage them in thinking.

I gave it thought that we can become scripted on the information we provide. I have learned that the more we envovle the learner in their learning as far as giving them responsibility, they more effective the information is on sticking.

Students engaged in their learning is active learning and allows the student to retain more information. 

You must have mastery of your subject matter as the teacher, but the challenge is to cater the content to the different learning styles of the students.

If they aren't actively engaged, students just won't learn and won't really retain the material.  It's too easy to disconnect, get distracted, and treat school as just another thing vying for your attention - and there are many things seeking our attention these days.  I think online learning requires more than the usual planning, since students have so many distractions present in this environment.  

Sign In to comment