Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

While I have used many active learning strategies in the F2F setting, I now need to figure out how to adapt those methods and try new methods in the online environment.  I think this is where the ongoing course evaluation comes in. Try an active learning strategy and get feedback from the students on how it was received / was it effective?  

Very informative section. I have taught in higher education at a university for over 7 years, and we had to do PPT's/ lecture format. It was only due to Covid 19 that all the instructors had to transition online. Initially it was a stressful, overwhelming transition, however now I'm much more used to it. I have given the students lecture assignments and videos to watch to engage them and help promote active-learning. They are also required to respond to a weekly discussion board prompt and respond to 2 peers in the class. This course has given me a few more ideas.

Active learning is needed, but I am not sure it should redefine the instructor's role.  I think the instructor should at times be a mentor, coach, facillitator and at times the instructor should continue to provide instruction through lector.  This is as important as it teaches listening skills and gives the student the most important info that the instructor as determined to be best.  

I learned early in my on-ground, F2F classes that student-centered learning was quickly becoming a necessary tool in the classroom.  Students were no longer equipped with the patience of sitting in a classroom, hearing a lecture and taking notes.  I found their retention of information increased when they became engaged and participated in the lecture, the discussion of information.  That was when I learned to write in methods of "student-centered learning activities into every lecture.  Outcomes and attendance began to rise and students gained interest in participating in the classroom.  I've used team-based learning, group questions, and individual activities to enhance the students' time in the classroom.

Teaching a different generation requires a different approach. Active learning techniques are not new techniques. The instructor's job has alway been to facilitate the learning experience.  It does provide a better understaning of the concept of active learning. Active learning gives the student a sense of ownership as well. 

I've learned that using both reflection and writing can be very helpful to improve active learning results with students. 

Active learning is imperative to student learning. Incorporating dfferent techniques to engage different learning styles is imperative to this method of teaching.

A strategy you could use to implement active learning is a recall game. Such as asking the students, "What do you remember from the last 20 minutes of lecture?"

With active learning, the most the teacher can do is teach, encourage and engage students in groups.

I intend to spend more time with break out sessions in which we pause the learning/ lecture to have students do an activity. I will try the zoom breakout rooms to do this. Have a group share their answers.

Active learning techniques may give the sense of “loss of control” regarding instructor/student relationship or colleagues may criticize these non-traditional approaches. Instructors must let go of dogmatic methods and  ideas that could potentially stagnate student comprehension and afford the learner the ability to acquire knowledge in a manner that is not like that of the instructor. Implementing these strategies moving forward -  will create a positive educational environment, promote stability, and increase seat hours which support school retention.

I noticed in Class EL112, it touched briefly on Chickering and Gamson (1987), "Seven Principles of Good Practice in Undergraduate Education". It didn't go into detail, so I researched the "Seven Principles of Good Practice in Undergraduate Education".  I found each principle is very important.

In this class, i noticed that this class (CL113) touching into what the "Seven Principles of Good Practice in Undergraduate Education" are. I find these Principles to be very important for online/undergraduate teaching.

1. encourages contact between student and faculty,
  2. develops reciprocity and cooperation among students,
  3. encourages active learning,
  4. gives prompt feedback,
  5. emphasizes time on task,
  6. communicates high expectations, and
  7. respects diverse talents and ways in learning.

I'm attaching the link, I used, for further explanations on each Principle. 

https://citt.ufl.edu/resources/the-learning-process/designing-the-learning-experience/chickering-and-gamson/

Reflective writing appears to be a wonderful strategy.  The strategy, I believe, is great for me to use on a topic or a concept the students have little background on but allow them to complete a reflective writing piece before coming to class.  This way, the discussion has the opportunity to be more engaing.

I agreed that active learning is one of the best methods to get the students involved.

I like the idea of active learning in the classroom.  This gives the student more responsibility to go to online sources such as the internet.  This will enhance the students learning.

What I have learned from this module are main principles in active learning such as positive interdependence, self-directed learning, and individual accountability. It is important to have a clear, structured instructions for students to follow.

What I have learned from this module are main principles in active learning such as positive interdependence, self-directed learning, and individual accountability. It is important to have a clear, structured instructions for students to follow.

Active Learning is being in charge of one's own learning with an instructor as the facilitator of learning. The student's role is to be active in group participation, peer reviews, technology with overall student accountability in their own learning. 

I like the idea of active learning so that students can learn themselves instead of being bored sitting and listening to me talk for hours. 

The 11 core elements were helpful in comparing what has already been implemented versus my areas of opportunity. Active learning methods (Cooperative, problem based and collaborative)- helpful in reaching and engaging students with different learning styles thereby improving comprehension

Sign In to comment