Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comment on Eileen Epsaro's post:

Students should take resposibility for their own learing and improving their knowledge base. As educators, we can share our experiences, create assignments for students to work as a group and encourage individual learning techniques.

That lectures don't really help in learning.  Instructors need to be more creative in the teaching techniques.

Students need to be responsible for their own learning. And as such, they should think about how they best learn new material. Once they figure that out, engage in activities or whatever strategies they think strengthens and promotes their learning. They should challenge themselves to become stronger students and not rely so much on the instructor to tell them what they need to know or learn!

Engaging students in the learning process is crucial to maintaining their interest. Teachers should be available to guide students throughout their journey.

My take away was active learning can be done in different ways, just not in lectures. Engage students to think, discuss, investigate etc:

As an instructor, our role in active learning is to guide our students and provide them the resources they need to thrive.

Active learning is a movement away from the traditional "sage on the stage". Instead, students will participate in the learning process through various approaches: reflection, discussion, dyad/triad projects, etc. The instructor facilitates learning by gently guiding students through and to the important material. 

It is interesting to note that student-centered learning is being driven more and more because of the online learning environment.  My full-time job is at a community college and, we have been really trying to get away from the "sage on the stage" type of teaching to more active learning.  

I do like how the learning environment was broken down into three components.  It makes this something to be aware of when trying to effectively reach the students.

A couple of elements I appreciate in the online environment is the learners must be active in their own journey. One has to develop motivation and self discipline. As instructors, we can help nurture these attributes. Self reflection is often part of this online active learning environment as well. Students often feel pride for when they learn and complete assignments while learning objectives. If one falls short of expectations, the instructor as well as peers, can help each other grow. "Directed self-learning (DSL) is an active learning approach where the learners  are provided with predefined learning objectives and some facilitation through the learning  process in the form of guidance and supervision. It can help establish a strong foundation for autonomous and deep learning" (Yusaf, 2023, p. 1). 

Reference

Ysaf, A et. a., 2023, The positive impact of introducing modified directed self-learning using pre–small group discussion worksheets as an active learning strategy in undergraduate medical education, Medical Education Online

While I am already aware of the benefits of active learning, I struggle to bring these techniques into my classroom.  My courses occur in the first 10 weeks of an accellerated program where many students are back in school for the first time since high school.  They have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to writing, comprehension, the college environment, and math skills.  There is a very real fear that changing techniques could lead to students missing something absolutely essential that the current techniques have been satisfactorily teaching.  I am also in my first year teaching in the program, so I am not sure my skills are advanced enough yet to make a big leap into all active learning.  So I have been choosing to incorporate a little bit here, a little bit there and know that even these small changes are a positive trend toward active learning.  It builds my confidence in using these techniques that are new to me, and it should allay my fears that my students will miss out as assessment shows that they are learning those necessary items. 

An active learner needs to be able to write, discuss, read and reflect to engaged in problem solving.  An active learner also needs to be able to be responsible and accountable in their own learning.  As instructors, we need to be able to make more of an effect to make it more "fun" for the students so that they can be an active learner.

Active learning requires the instructor to do more than just read a lecture. It also requires more active participation from students.

Active learners take an active role in their education. It requires the use of critical thinking skills and allows them to actively engage in learning activities rather than being passive learners,  This method allows different types of learners to utilize the study skills that best fit them in order to be more effective.

Though every learning environment has three elements (instructor/facilitator, student, and content), active learning brings students and their learning "center stage." In an active learning environment, there is no "sage on the stage." Instead, the students and their learning are most important, and the students are "actively involved in knowledge acquisition." As online instructors, we have the opportunity to challenge, assist, and guide our students on their educational journeys. It can be "fun" and rewarding for all involved.

I learned more details pertaining to the core elements of active learning. "The core elements of active learning activities are that students must read, write, discuss, reflect or be engaged in problem solving. There is an abundance of innovative strategies which can work in small and large group projects or individual activities."

Active learning puts the accountability for the learning process onto the student with the instructor as a coach in the process. I struggle with the volume of information in our courses and the ability to help students actively engage in the course  so that they can be competent in the material learned. I incorporate think pair share, case studies, presentations, etc., but look forward to more recommendations in this course. 

It is not easy to transition from traditional to active learning methods.  I like the idea and I know active learning is more productive.  There is a lot of learning to be done for instructors to become coaches.  There will not be enough time to cover all topics.

What I've learned from this section is the importance of active learning. although I teach mostly face to face, but we do have some online assignments and it is hard to get the students engaged and actively participating in those assignments. I've been incorporating the assignments into my ground class to help them see the importance of accountability, and making the assignments a group project or an active discussion helps them to see what they are capable of doing when putting in the ground work.

Getting students to interact with one another in an online course is very important, whether the course is synchronous or asynchronous.

The online learning forum bring the classroom to a more diverse group of students 

Sign In to comment