Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files
Critical thinkings can help the student to see the connection between class content and real life. Critical thinking also Guides student in solving a problem and demonstrating comprehension. 

The learning enviroment for the student and instructor are equally important to the learning of the student.

I have never been one for the lecture mode of study as I have always found it to be boring and monotonous. I have leaned more towards the idea that active learning is the best way for students to learn as it "diversifies the learning environment for students and gives them an educational experience which many may have never had before". I think active learning helps the students be more proactive in their learning, helps them engage with one another, helps them have fun and enjoy their class/course more while learning and it "assists in understanding, retaining and applying course content".

As a therapist also, I see that these methods being utilized can help build and facilitate a relationship and rapport with the students that are highly linked to success (for exmaple, greater participation, higher grades, higher attritition rates, etc). 

I agree 100 % with a more dynamic method of teaching like active learning process. The tradional teacher lecturing an passive student just taking notes is not that great for retention and long term learning. Concepts difficult to understand should be presented to the students in an easy way so they can process mentality the hardcore concept and then expand their knowledge with a solid base. Implementing more dynamic activities in a curriculum can be a great help for any instructor to implement. 

The concept of active learning. Dynamic interactive classroom and having students to be collaborators in the teaching not only listeners. The sage lecturer mentality is not that functional anymore.

I believe active learning is a much more efficient method of teaching, and with more retention of material and interest in the subject from the student point of view. Would be helpful to have a syllabus with dynamic activities included for the different subject to be learned by students. 

I noticed there is a section EL 104 Teaching and organazing a virtual learning environment. I believe this is the next phase in this active learning process we are taking. I want to learn more on the implementing of this virtual environment.  

Active learning is letting the students to be teachers for themselves in a way. You the instructor will be as a student that guide and listen to students with active interaction as part of the group.

Active learning views students as actual participants in the learning process -- not static recipients of force fed information. It is up to the student to take an active role in the classroom and the teacher becomes a facilitator (guide on the side) rather than the sage on the stage.

Active learning develops students' autonomy and their ability to learn. Active learning gives students greater involvement and control over their learning. This means that students are better able to continue learning once they have left school and college. Cambridge examinations do not simply test recall of knowledge.

Modern classrooms have shifted from an instructor lead environment to a more actively engaged student experience

I already incorporate active learning into my online class. I was the type of student that got bored easily, so having interactions such as the ones in the reading have helped in students retaining the info.

I learned Active learning environment acknowledges the student as the centered of the learning and the approach should connect course content to the student’s reality. Educators can integrate traditional style of teaching and still make it fun and real.

I am trying to develop active learning in my online course. 

I have found that I enjoy teaching so much more when active learning is involved!! I love seeing and hearing the students debate and discuss the topics and thoroughly emmerse themselves in the course information. This also lends itself to students building relationships with their peers!

As an administrator working with faculty, this information has provided me with the benefits of incorporating active teaching that may be used to influence instructors to incorporate these techniques.  While emphasis is made in this piece that the student is responsible for their learning, the instructor plays an instrumental role in structuring the online class to encourage that. Too many students want to memorize the information to pass the class; instructors are responsible for designing an effective online course that allows active learning to take place. Delivery of online education is not going anywhere and will only increase so we need to get really good at this type of delivery method.

Active learning places the responsibility on the student, and the instructor's job is to act as a coach to facilitate the student's learning. This is a modern approach that avoids the pitfalls of traditional lectured-based learning.

Active learning increases retention and promotes interacting with course material rather than memorizing it. 

Active Learning is student centered learning. Materials and activities must be engaging, relevant to the reality of the student and should build a sense of community in the classroom. Teaching styles have evolved away from "talking head" teacher centered techniques since the 1990's. It is important to update teaching styles to stuentd centered learning because this style has proven to be more effective when educating the contemporary learner. 

Sign In to comment