Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that the skills I brought with me from the traditional classroom will most likely need to be modified in order to be successful in the online environment. I will need to relinquish control, and yet at the same time maintain a form of control over the classroom to ensure that the students are reaching the learning objective before we are done.

The responsibility of learning the course material falls on the student while the instructor serves as a mentor. I love this idea of being a mentor to my students. When I think about the college courses in which I learned the most, I notice those were the courses I had a mentor relationship with the professor and not a strict “professional” relationship. I learned and enjoyed the most when I felt a connection with the professor and other students. I am looking forward to cultivating that type of relationship with my students! I believe this mentor relationship will encourage a love of learning for years to come  

Hellos everyone;

Active learning is a teaching and learning strategy that involves engaging learners in meaningful and interactive activities that promote critical thinking, problem-solving, and collaboration. Active learning methods are characterized by students' active participation in the learning process, rather than passive observation of lectures or reading materials.

Active learning approaches include, but are not limited to, class discussions, group projects, case studies, role-playing, and simulations. These methods encourage students to become more engaged and invested in their learning by actively constructing knowledge, applying concepts to real-world situations, and collaborating with their peers.

Active learning is essential because it enhances students' retention of information, improves their critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and fosters a deeper understanding of the subject matter. Additionally, it promotes the development of social and emotional skills, such as teamwork, communication, and empathy, which are essential in today's workforce.

Active learning also addresses the limitations of traditional passive learning methods, which may not be effective for all learners. Active learning encourages diverse learning styles and provides multiple opportunities for students to engage with the material, leading to a more inclusive and equitable learning environment.

Best Regards,

Dr. Abreu

My take away from this is that I can see why active learning may be difficult to transition to for professors who are used to a more standard method. But really, its not that different than what has been done in the past. Plus it is way more engaging for the students. Plus it helps the student take ownership of their own learning. 

It is interesting how many would consider active learning elements as a natural part of online learning, but it is still typically easier in synchronous environments. The examples used for asynchronous learning will definitely be helpful in still incorporating active learning for relevant course content.

Active learning is an approach to instruction that involves actively engaging students with the course material through discussions, problem-solving, case studies, role plays, and other methods.

The biggest take away from me is that the lesson must be engaging but also reflective. The student should walk away from the lesson connecting their background knowledge to the concepts covered in the lesson. 

Students are responsible for their own learning. Our role is to help facilitate that process. 

Active learning doesn't have to add a lot time in planning lessons but can help students better understand the material. 

Providing students with challenging, thought-provoking tasks is important to promoting an active learning environment.  It is important to find the right level of challenging for students so that they do not shut down.  This can be achieved by making sure there are appropriate supports provided for students to complete these challenging tasks. 

Active learning calls on student direction and engagement. The instructor's job is to guide students through materials rather than lecture them on content. I implement this in my classroom by including interactable slides and discussion sections.

Active learning puts the responsibility on the student. This allows them to take control of their own learning. Having made this change in my classroom in prior teaching experiences, it can be a difficult transition for an instructor who is used to lecturing to the class. 

Three of the main principles or elements seen in active learning are: structure and planning, self reflection, and accountability. All need to be addressed in order to create a successful online learning environment.

I learned that active learning allows student to develop important critical thinking skills and take a more active role in the learning environment.

Comment on SETH SORONNADI's post: I very much like the idea of the "students' journey." I have taught many online classes and this often seems to be the problem. I am especially frustrated when a student apologizes to me for missing a deadline. I am looking forward to learning more about helping students to realize this. I am almost wondering if it has to do with the culture of the college. 

I have never done much lecturing, always believing that involving students was the key to their ownership of the learning. I have taught at at least one college where that is all that was done in classes. As an adjunct, I was always somewhat frustrated by this teaching style. 

Active learning is essential in the online learning environment. Professors must ensure that students are engaged and reflective in their learning. 

I have learned the importance of being more of a guide on the side as opposed to a stage on the stage. This lesson really discussed the concept of how important it is to create a learning atmosphere where the students feel involved. I want to ensure that any class I teach can follow this mindset.

In the past, I have sometimes posed a question about an aspect of anatomy/physiology, and then ask the class to find an answer in the biomedical literature. I don't always know the answer myself, and sometimes there is not answer... yet.

Because the classes in my area tend to be very diverse and international, I sometimes ask the class about non-Western healing methods that a relative used to help them during their childhood. Then I use the above exercise, so they can find out if any scientific research has been done on particular folk medicine/ ethnobotany healing methods.

Good afternoon:

Learning should not be a passive activity. Both students and teachers thrive when classes are designed with an active, student-centered approach. When students are invited to participate in structuring their own learning, both final results and motivation along the way increase. Students become more involved in their own learning. Additionally, the skills they acquire position them for a future career and prepare them for college.

Kind regards,

JAF

When I reflect on my learning as a student, which is ongoing thanks to my doctoral studies, I recognize that active learning was significantly more effective in my outcomes than other older standards of teaching. The idea that the student is responsible for their own learning works well provided we, as instructors, facilitate our classes to include everyone's voice and participation. I will definitely continue to be aware of the need for active learning in the classroom.

Sign In to comment