Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree with Melaine. I like to keep the students active right after I discuss the topic and do a demo of a technique. Getting their chance to have hands on to work with the digital program is very helpful to their journey.

Concerning Active Learning: the instructor becomes the course facilitator, not just the content lecturer, who guides the students through their educational journey. Educational games or role-playing activity could be a good way for students to grasp the course content, rather than just having a passive note-taking experience.

This is also my first time teaching online. I ran into many challenges for both students and instructors.  I think it is extremely important that online instructors should facilitate the learning process.  Online instructor must provide clear, meaningful guidelines learning activities to help student involve learning topic, problem solving, give students enough time to review and recap.

I've have been guilty of being instructor led in my courses and just posting instruction "PowerPoints" online for my online forum.  I am willing to become more of an "educational coach" than a instructor driven class.   I use some active learning already in my classroom like the gaming with teaching method.  I also use problem solving methods in class when working with equipment in class.   I will take into coinsideration all the items I've learned from this session to incorporate becoming more of a facilitator in my instruction in the future.

I plan to continue to use PBL projects to have students master the TEKS for the courses I teach, but plan to include more self-assessment activities, more reflection activities, peers in group asessments and reflections.  Up to now, my classes have been F2F, but due to covid19, the second half of this school year was online.  Preparations for next year will include both and blended formats.

I have been using active learning strategies for the past several years.  I plan to continue to use PBL projects, but plan to incorporate more student self-assessments, student self-reflection, and peer-peer (within groups) assessments and reflections.  Those are components of active learning that I believer will enhance what I have been doing.

student-centered learning =  "become more popular in education in the past ten years".; especially considering the rise of online learning environments 

creating online courses takes a significant amount of planning

understanding and implementing active learning techniques in our classrooms is critical

Active Learning Environment will help student to get them self to the answers. With F2F they can get bored, and not want to participate in the learning environment. Give them something to do as you are delivering the message and it becomes more engaging.  

F2F if you can engage them with or what you are talking about it will keep there attention. Most students are eager to learn the material but not read the book. Making the lecture informative and including them will keep them engaged. Along with F2F I like my students to give me the information and that is where the active learning comes in.  

I am not a fan of on line learning because I felt like I was a "sage on the stage."

Active learning focuses on giving the students more controll with their learning by getting them more involved in their lessons and with their classmates. The instructor is there for guidence and to encourage deductive reasoning.

Students should take an active responsibility with their learning online. The teacher should act as a guide and give support to the student. 

It essentially explains that it is all about students being held accountable for their own learning.  We as teachers are here to support the students, however we can only lead them to the water, we can't make them drink it!  This is even more pervasive in an online learning environment. Since students are a part of an online environment but are still in their own everyday home environments as well, they are responsible for being active and essentially a 'boss' of their own learning by sharing ideas, collaborating together their peers, writing and reflecting etc.  

During online learning students must be accountable and ready to participate. The teacher "Presents" the materials as a guide for the students and the students engage with the teachers to be able to complete the assignments.during initial online learning, I felt like I was present and available for my students and they weren't showing up to the classes during designated "times" and I would like to fix this for the future.

The shift from the "sage on the stage" to the "coach" can be a difficult one for many teachers. I know that I have struggled with some of those aspects, especially in reference to the rigor and amount of content that I am expected to cover in my AP classes. I often find that I lecture too much and that I struggle to pause and add effective active learning opportunities for my students as I often fear I will not cover all of the curriculum. Striking an effective balance between curricular demands and reflective student engagement is a balancing act I will work to accommodate. I have found it much easier to do in my science and CTE coursework, so I will attempt to embrace it within my AP course as well. :)

With active learning students are responsible for their own education. Instructors should no longer lecture in the traditional style. In an online envrionment students should still be encouraged (or even mandated) to participate in collaborative/cooperative assignments. This allows the intsructor to become more of a facilitator. 

I already practice active learning in my classroom, and it is a great way to engage studetnts and facilitate their processing of information. In my classroom, we take the approach of learning by doing. Students learn the concepts of sewing by engaging in projects that will teach them skills they will need to become better tailors. However, in an online environment, it will be interesting to include this concept. I hope that the platform we use will have the ability to group students for disucssion and support. This will ultimately help students to form a community that will hopefully transition to face to face instruction later in the school year. 

In active learning, students must take responsibility for their own learning. This type of learning can take some time to practice/master both on the student side and the educator side. Active learning promotes deeper understanding of content instead of just being 'force fed' information. Active learning allows students to possibly apply content to real life situations to deeper their knowledge. 

Active learning requires students to be responsible for their own learning, and instructors to be responsible for providing and facilitating the activities that enable that. Whether live or online, courses that provide active components such as discussion, group work and projects, and problem-based learning provide greater learning success. While the active learning component may be more time- and labor-intensive to design and develop, including discussion and collaboration, questing and wikis, and production of learning products, it also improves learning outcomes and student completion and retention. I am eager to incorporate more of this into my online courses, particularly effective discussion questions and collaborative production using the features of our LMS to full capacity.

This helped me really take a more reflective view on active learning for the student and for online courses. There was a misconception before about what is included in an online course and whether or not it can be as effective as a F2F course. I'm excited to utilize these tools and tricks in the classroom to get my students actively participating. 

i need to find out who the instructional  designers at my college are

Active learning is a considered to be a learning environment where the student is not given the answer but they are responsible for learning the content.  Active learning is where the student is engaged in learning the content and not forced fed information for the teacher.  Students are actively learning in the classroom (either F2F or online) through collaborative, cooperative, and problem based learning -- these three methods of students learning and are engaged in the classroom.

Sign In to comment