Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active learning is a transistion with a focus on students taking responsible for

their learning expereince and the teacher being a supportive participant in this journey.

What I took away from this is, we need to provide opportunities for students to participate. This may be providing the matieral in different varieties so they can understand and feel confident when engaging in discussion post. I also see I must be more involved in the discussion post, to make sure the ball continues rolling and it isn't dropped. 

Active learning is any learning other than sitting and listening to a lecture. 

reading then is active learning . 

Active learning is important for the student in a student based learning approach.  This is a difference than old prior ways which it was instructor lecturing at the podium, but it is now in more recent years a promotion of active learning.

Active learning put the studet more in charge of their learning rather than the instructor feeding knowledge to be memorized.  Students shape their own learning.

i am new to instructing online and it's so different from lecturing in the class room 

In this module we reviewed some facets of active Learning, background of the movement, developments in higher education, cooperation instead of competition using collaborative and cooperative learning, creative use in the online environment, and the core elements of active learning. Students must not just memorize, but be able to read, write, discuss, reflect or be engaged in problem solving, engaged in the process of analyzing, synthesizing and evaluating the information, with the aim of achieving improved retention and application of the course material.

I like the collective collaboration used in active learning. This course once again reinstates the different methods of creating an active learning environment.

D

One of my favorite active learning techniques is asking the students to become the teacher.  I know first hand that you learn the material better when you teach it to someone else.  The way I like to do this is have every student (or small groups of students) become experts on their topic (or assigned chapter from the textbook).  Then they are responsible for teaching that concept to the rest of the class.  This creates peer learning and a new level of competence on their assigned topic.

The more collaborative, cooperative and problem solving learning that can take place, the better students will learn and retain. Active learning can help with student retention and can make learning more student led.  With many opportunities to include active learning in an online setting I look forward to all the ways I can engage students even more.

The activve learning is a "win-win" learning method that the learners could engage in to make learning more interesting.  Be placing the responsibility of learning on the students, they feel more invested in the process and are more motivated to learn.  The educator's main purpose is to facilitate and guide the students in the process will encourage the students to be more active in the learning process.  I find this is a better and more way teaching method to conduct a class.

Active learning is a big deal for me. I feel that it keeps students in tune because they do not know when they are going to be picked on to answer a question or give their insight. I use alot of active learning when I am teaching. I love engaging the students and have them share any relative stories in regards to what ever topic it is we are covering. In return, then other students jump in because they have something that relates to what is being discussed and we end up in an open conversation. My students always tell me that they learn so much from my class because of the open discussions and active learning that goes on in my classroom.

Active learning should be an integral part of an online course. Assignments should be assigned periodically and give both the student and the instructor time to reflect on the material. Most importantly, the instructor is a guide with active learning, not just a lecturer. I intend to incorporate assignments which give students time to apply what they learn in class to real-life scenarios.

The core elements of active learning activities are that students must read, write, discuss, reflect or be engaged in 

problem solving. There is an abundance of innovative strategies which can work in small and large group projects 

or individual activities.

Active learning is learning which requires various forms of engagement from the student. Engagement can be writing, speaking, reading, listening, group assignments, problem solving tasks, or other methods which require movement or thinking beyond sitting and listening. Active learning is important because it allows students to meaningfully engage, take responsibility for their learning, and provides a more authentic learning experience which is likely to produce better completion rates. This is relevant to my student body as we navigate a new blended learning envronment and learn new styles of studying that allow them to be successful.   

I really never thought of feedback to be an important component of active learning, but it really makes sense. Feedback allows students to reflect on whether their thinking is correct or incorrect.

It is also important that the students understand that they will need to “do the work” in order to learn the material. Often, we have online students who complain that they are teaching themselves the material. Yes, but we are providing the resources and activities to help you.  That's what makes online learning work!

I intend to move my lecture/powerpoint sessions to a more active discussion process as we go through the week's materials.  I will be including discussion posts to hear from the students and I will include those 15-20 minute breaks to hear from the students regarding what they have learned so far.  Finally, I want them to work in small groups on an assigned problem that they will solve.

Something that sticks out for me is that as instructors we move to a more of a facilitator role while the student becomes responsible for actively learning.  I want to offer more of a participative role for the students next module.  I will also use the 15 - 20 minute breaks where the students can tell me what they have learned so far.  I also want them to break up into small groups for some problem solving.

Active learning seems more engaging for the instructor as well as the student. Instead of reading a script, I am keeping the students engaged thru Immersion, self-reflection, team work, and deadlines, to name but a few. The responsibiilty of learning is on the student and not the instructor, helping them see the importance of their education and being fully invested in it. It's a whole new world opened up to them. kj

As the instructor is the guide the student is responsible for their active learning.

Sign In to comment