Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned the importance of active learning for the student. The student will enjoy learning, discussing, reflecting on and retaining the information because they have a part in the learning process.

Performing on stage as the sage is what I do best. But, online learning needs more interface with student learners. My take away is many small active activities to coexist with the lecture as my online student lectures need to take a pause, reflect, and interact. This method also works 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it.

I've learned that, generally speaking, most of my educational/professional experiences have been "sage on the stage" based, though there has definitely been active learning incorporated.  I see the benefit of both and believe a good mixture is still optimal with active learning being predominant.  It's been somewhat challening to get out from behind the podium, which is what I'm most comfortable with because of my experiences, but flexibility is key.  This is challening enough in a traditional in-person academic experience.  Doing so on-line is taking it up a notch.  

Since the on-line environment is podium free technically, this provides me an ample opportunity to involve students in active learning collaborative/cooperative environments.  As we're still waiting to see platform capabilities I don't know exactly how (i.e. Blackboard, video/audio capability, grouping capability) yet.     

In active learning students construct their own knowledge rather than being force fed. 

I have found that "chalk talk", or asking/calling a student to interact with the class often times is very enjoyable for the student, and the class alike. It is espeically fun when they are allowed to share their learned discoveries.

Active learning is important in communication and having a collaborative learning process online is critical and conducive to online learning

We are learning that the children who grew up with electronics are learning more efficiently and effectively in active learning environments, as opposed to how I learned from lectures, individual reading and studying and memorizing information to pass standardized tests. So I must adapt my teaching style and release my control of content introduction. In an active learning environment, I become the coach or instructional facilitator, and the students become responsible for their learning through shared discussion, research, listening, strategy development, leading and teamwork, and problem solving. This will likely mean more work for me in the beginning to develop and prepare a good active learning environment, but the students will learn and sustain more knowledge and skills overall.

I learned that, as an instructor using active learning, I'm more of a guide or mentor than a lecturer. It's my job to provide an environment of learning and activities that promote interaction, peer feedback, problem solving, etc. I plan on applying moments of pause to ask questions and allow time for students to reflect. I want to offer more collaborative and cooperative activities, such as group projects, peer teaching, finding information together, games, etc. 

In active learning I love the fact that you get to share problem solving and role playing it helps retain information easier rather than trying to make someone memorize the information.  I also feel it makes students interact in a more realistic way instead of just typing on a keyboard.

Active learning online is one of the most important means of teaching. Utilizing technology such as a simple drawing program can make active learning come alive by allowing the student to take control of your computer and (for example) draw the connecting wires to a circuit in an electrical photo.

In an active learning environment, the facilitator attempts to have the student turn on their lighbulb. Do activities that force the student to critically think.

Students taking an active interest in their learning seems like a simple concept, but often I have seen them waiting to be handed information rather then taking the lead to discover. It is difficult to get those students to interact as they feel that they are there to absorb and regurgitate rather than interact and participate.

In active learning, the student takes on more responsibility for his/her own learning.  This should result in the student being more engaged with the content and facilitate the learning process.  

Active learning is what online teachers should be creating for students.  Yes, students are responsible for actively using the materials we provided for them online and participating in discussions. As Online instructors we are to keep providing them with comments and encouraging students as they complete their online program.

The online environment can be difficult. The course content needs to "capture" the student. Traditional lecturing should be done with many intervals. In an active learning environment the responsibility for learning is put on the student.

I learned the importance for an instructor to understand that in active learning we are facilitators, students become more responsible of their learning.

Learning does not have to be boring. Students want to active participants in their own learning.

Keeping students engaged and active can be a challenge in an online environment.

Active learning is a great way to get students involved, and be accountable for their own learning.

Active learning techniques can provide with the opportunity to involve and engage students more and more and make them responsible for their own learning with the help and guidance of the instructor.

Dr. Anton Hawatmeh

Sign In to comment