Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

i find that these students need attention
only when i see the opportunity i speak to them one on one and let them speak ,in doing this they have a way to speak with me

Hi Victor,
I have found that at times students simply want to be heard. We must listen to our students and let them say what is on their mind so that we can communicate effectively.
Patricia

It's amazing how often, in today's society, we just want to be heard. As I was pursuing my master's degree, one instructor in a Magazine Publishing class informed me that interviewers often have to do very little to get people talking: we are all just that desperate to be heard. Once students gain a voice (that somebody actually listens to), however, amazing things related to self-confidence and self-advocacy can start to happen--plus, it makes the student feel like you know them personally and genuinely care. Of course, listening is a skill in and of itself, one that takes quite a bit of practice to master!

Hello Bryan,
I know a lot of people that simply want to be heard! Listening is a skill that must be practiced in order to fully master it. Some people do not practice the skill enough and that is the reason they are ineffective listeners.
Patricia

Sign In to comment