Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

a challenging student protected by ADA

We currently have a student that has many dibilitating problems, mostly mental, with documentation to be protected by the ADA. What I find is that this student is allowed to get away with so much because of our overly cautious handling that it has become unfair for the other students. It is actually distracting for them and they become discouraged. I appreciate any suggestions on this situation. elp

Pacing the class intro

I teach the first lab class in a very exciting 'hands on' industry. Over the last six weeks, the students have completed several theory or preparation courses for this lab class. There is lots of information to review for my class and I find it helpful to break up the 'intro' over two days. I review the most important topics on day one, especially safety issues,so that the students have plenty of time to be active in the lab on the first day. Then the second day I finish the remaining topics. Also, each day is built on the last,… >>>

Mistakes

Describe what you consider to be the biggest classroom mistake you have made. Describe how you have avoided and helped others avoid that same mistake.

Students and monitoring procedures

What are the adverse effects of poor student monitoring skills? Do you think that you are effectively monitoring your class, why or why not?

Challenging Students

What student traits/actions do you personally find most challenging? What do you do to help those students to be less of a challenge and become successful?

IDE (Instructional Delivery Expert)

What do you do to maintain your status as an Instructional Delivery Expert? What areas do you think most instructors could use help with?

undisclosed learning disabilities

We often encounter students that have learning disabilities that they fail to disclose until they are in an academic tailspin. As an open enrollment institution, we know that this will happen and use a process that we call "academic triage" to attempt to identify these students as quickly as possible. By the sequence of our curriculum there are certain courses that lend themselves to assorted intsructional techniques. Students with various challenges are more easily recognized when some techniques are employed rather than others. By making certain that all students are exposed to and evaluated by several techniques within their first… >>>

prioritize

a number system helps tremendously

jogging melts the stress

just watching the scenery go by is great stress releiver

stress is eveywhere

excersize is the best stress reliever

technology

its all so confusing to keep up with

Using Excel

I find using spreadsheets are most effective in the way I keep my grades organized.

Prioritize

It's important to prioritize daily. We also must be flexable & be ready to adjust accordingly.

"to Do Lists"

What is the best way to make sure that you are not putting too much on the to do list? What if the list is not completed? do the items go on top of tommorows list?

Take some me time

I take very little me time my job and my home life takes up all of my time but I just started to go to the gym and make some time for Dave.

keeping students interested

i always commit the student to stay focused on the course

Anger via email

A student who is upset or angry about the class/grade will sometimes use email as a quick way to lash out at an instructor. I try to reply with a question as to how I can help resolve the issue or find out if there is an issue that they want to discuss with me in person. What other ways can an angry email be turned into an open discussion?

i find that these students need attention only when i see the opportunity i speak to them one on one and let them speak ,in doing this they have a way to speak with me

as instrutors it's ok to admit to your mistakes it also shows the student that they will also make mistakes and go on with life and not to dwell on it

Activity

Any activity that is done that breaks up the work can be stress releiving. Stretching after sitting for a long time, a short walk around the building, or talking to someone about something other than work.