Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

jogging melts the stress

just watching the scenery go by is great stress releiver

Great point Gustavo. It’s not necessarily the jog itself that reduces stress but for some, the change in scenery along the way. Knowing this, other similar stress reducers might work for you too. A walk in the woods is one example.

I believe in recreation of any type to reduce stress.The word means re create your mind.

Biking is my "thing." I like to bike every afternoon after classes are over. I ride for about 45 minutes or so and really push myself to get my heart rate up and sweat. It's very helpful and I sleep better.

Great that you found this outlet Robert. Some instructors actually bike to and from work when distance isn’t an issue. It’s a great way to reduce stress while using time when you’d be commuting anyway.

I find that riding my motorcycle is an incredible stress melter

I also run and ride; it gives me time either alone to go over my thoughts and feelings, or time with friends whom I enjoy seeing. Either way, I am able to burn off excess energy and improve my sleep.

I also use yoga and tai chi to practice breathing, but yoga has taught me patience in many other areas of my life. In vinyasa flow, when a pose may be held for 5 very long, slow breaths or may move very rapidly, you learn to let go of your expectations and to empty your mind while in the pose. In the classroom, this serves me in being able to let go of my preconceived notions of what a class COULD or SHOULD do, and just see what they actually ARE--it guides my teaching to each person's needs.

Teaching mostly young males (rowdy and impatient young men, sometimes) in a culinary school can be challenging, but learning patience and to breathe as a means of control has done worlds for my classroom management style.

While other exercise is great and I love it, I never knew that yoga could have such an impact on my mental and emotional state beyond that of physical exercise.

Sign In to comment