Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

unfocused students

Very tough to get thru to a few of our students. First they must be allowed to feel comfortable in class, then begin.

Hi Vincent,
It is very important to make your students feel comfortable. Students tend to open up more when they are comfortable with you.
Patricia

Yes your correct, that's why the first class day is so important for the students to be there in body, and mind.

Hi Vincent,
As a student, I would never miss the first day of class. The first day is vitally important to a student's success. The first day is when you learn what is expected of you. At my institution we have a policy that is if you miss the first day, you must take the final exam.
Patricia

Whithin the first part of the class I find students that are not on target I very coyly use them as presenters or leaders and get them involved .

Hi Keith,
What a great way to get unfocused students involved. This practice does normally work.
Patricia

What is the best way to handle students that have missed the first and sometimes second day of class?

Hi Paul,
I immediately get with the student upon their arrival. I let the student know that he/she must pick up from where we are, and the information may be confusing, however, if they can stay late or will make arrangements to stay over within the next day or so, I will certainly get them to a level of understanding. What have you used in this situation?
Patricia

I have found that if you can make your personal introduction intresting and a little bit funny it relaxes the students a little . It lets them know your a regular guy

Dan Butler

Hi Daniel,
Who wants a borain instructor? No one does. As educators, we must know how to make subject matters interesting and exciting to keep our students attention.
Patricia

Sign In to comment