Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

as instrutors it's ok to admit to your mistakes
it also shows the student that they will also make mistakes and go on with life and not to dwell on it

Hello Victor,
Absolutely, whenever you mess up, "fess up". Do not be afraid to make a mistake, otherwise you will never try any thing new.
Patricia

I find that when you admit that you have made a mistake to a student they respect you more by showing your human and they are more out to learn from you.

I agree with Michael when I make a mistake I will readily admit to it and take the student or students and we will find the answer together. This leads to students not being as intimidated to ask questions and they seem to open up to the topic more.

Hi Michael,
You've made an awesome point!
Patricia

Hi Joshua,
I too agree with the two of you. No one knows everything.
Patricia

I agree to a point that if you do make a mistake that you need to admit it but I feel you need to go a step farther. If the mistake was in front of the class then you should discuss what the correct answer is and show the students that you to are human and these things will happen. It will also show that it is ok to make some miatakes in their chosen field as long as they correct them and admit to it.... within reason!

Hello Brian,
No one is perfect, and we all make mistakes. Of course, admit to your mistakes openly and share the correct answer openly as well. The students will have more respect for you whenever you own up to your mistakes.
Patricia

I have a few "life experiences gone wrong" stories i use to illustrate that mistakes are only mistakes if you address and try to correct them.

Hi Jeffrey,
We all make mistakes. Mistakes are not a bad thing as long as we learn from our mistakes and don't make the same mistake twice. The second time it is not a mistake.
Patricia

I let my students know on the first day that I am human and I have made my share of mistakes. I instill in them the ideology that mistakes are one of the fundamental tools of learning so it is acceptable to make a mistake as long as learning lessons are derived from it.

I point out that everyone makes mistakes. As you get more experienced they tend to be fewer but often more serious.

Hi Peter,
We all do make mistakes. Good point about being experienced, mistakes do appear to be more major. Are you making mistakes or serious mistakes?
Patricia

Hi Patricia.
I tend to fix other peoples mistakes.
I frequently have instructors and students come to me for help with various problems.
I guess I'm a maven

Hi Peter,
We are fortunate to have people like you in our line of work. Please know you are very much appreciated.
Patricia

Like forgetting to put a title on your thread...hey, it happens to the best of us!
Also - if you don't know the answer, admit it and tell the students you WILL have the answer next class. Then follow through - find out the answer and thank whoever asked the question for helping you to learn something new!

Sign In to comment