Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

keeping students interested

i always commit the student to stay focused on the course

there are alot of diffrent ways to keep the students interested i found the best way was to ask them what they are into and relate it to the course

Hi!

I agree that there are many different ways to keep students interested in a course and these ways will vary according to the specific subject matter of each course. Along the way I've learned many useful techniques and ways to engage the students and I keep learning more every day as I interact with fellow instructors, and take more professional development courses or workshops. It's like a never-ending story and it's so important to me as an instructor to catch up with new developments and ideas in teaching.

I found this first module very interesting and useful. It emphasized things that I have learned before and gave me some new tools that I will definitely incorporate in my courses, especially the part about the ice breaker. I always like to have an ice breaker activity, but it is not easy to design the best activity to fit every course. It is important to keep in mind the diversity of students we may have and that some students will feel very shy and even uncomfortable the first day of class.

As a Biology instructor, sometimes it is not easy for me to engage students from other areas into the course from the very beginning, but I have found that they get really interested when I bring news articles for class discussion as well as when I allow them to discuss how biology is part of our daily lives in very simple things that we do and decisions we make every day, for example, when our kids are getting sick and we have to decide what to do about it.

In addition, during the ice-breaker activity, I encourage students to share some of their hobbies and many times we discover that they include things related to biology in some way, such as nature photography, hiking, gardening, etc.

Hi,
Can you tell me specific ways or activities that you use to keep them focused?

Hello,
In courses that usually consist of lecture only, I find that students enjoy a break from listening. I will assign a short hands on project in my history of interior design course by asking them to sketch a piece of furniture from that time period or work as a group to design a room from the period we are addressing.
Debby Smith

I teach a class on motorcycle mechanics. It consists of four 3 week modules, combined lecture and lab work. The students are often bored by the lecture sections, even though they are essential. That is where the student gets the information needed to do the lab work properly. I have found that if I can break up the lecture with group class room projects, it goes a long way toward combatting boredom. It's also gratifying to hear them say afterwards that they enjoyed it and had never had another instructor do something like that.

This is a problem that anyone in any sort of leadership position in the military has had to deal with man y more times than they care to talk about im sure. There are alot of different views on it. I know its going to sound cleiche but you need to find what motivates the student. Each one may be different but if you can find out what makes them tick then its easy to keep their interest. Just remember one thing. Not everybody is motivated by money. I have seen people make this mistake way too many times if it was that easy everyone would do it

I write all of the students names on index cards at the start of the course. As I lecture I will continue to randomly pull names and ask questions surrounding the lecture. I find this usually will keep them awake as well as spark a discussion around the questions.

The first day of class during the " ice breaking " procedures, I like to ask the class what they are interested in learning about. I find it is easier to maintain their interest if I touch on their topics along with the required material. It helps the students feel as though they are more involved with the lecture.

I teach Environmental Science which is a general ed course obviously not related to any of their career choices. I tie this course into current news topics such as global warming etc. and, to earn bonus points, ask them to bring in pertinent articles from newspapers, magazines, and the internet to share with the class. I also bring in ones that I find.

I try to break up instruction as much as possible and include discussion continually. Since our classes are so long, I also try to engage students by using movies, PowerPoints, websites and other technology. This gets students talking and interacting with the materials instead of just listening to me talk.

Hi Amy,
Students really do get tired of hearing us talk all the time. Variations of teaching methods are very good for students. Students are more engaged when there is a variety involved.
Patricia

In the nursing course that I teach, the didactic/lecture is pretty focused. We do have a skills lab that is offered during the same term but isn't specific to the particular class. Are there any suggestions to keep my students motivated especially during 2 upcoming classes that are 6 hours in length?

Hi Colleen,
For a 6-hour class period, variety is key. Have a variety of ativities for your students. Make sure to utilize various teaching methods and project great energy. Allowing the students to take frequent breaks will help tremendously as well.
Patricia

Sign In to comment