Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

challenges

Challenging students may also be difficult. First the difficulties needs to be located. Then work on that aspect to get through to the student.

Hi Vincent,
Challenging students can be very difficult. I tend to let these students know in a very tactful way, I am the guru in this subject matter. You can not intimidate me!
Patricia

Students should have an understanding about what the course is about prior to the begining. The reason they are in class is to learn from the expierinced person, the instructor.

Hi Vincent,
To this day, I am a firm believer, "Experience is the best teacher."
Patricia

some time they just need some one to listen

Hi Mark,
As educators, we must be effective listeners. Sometimes students just need to vent!
Patricia

I agree. But if and when that student can't be reached he needs to be removed so as not to take from others.

Hello Keith,
Do not ever let another student take away from a student, how unfair. You are right, remove the student.
Patricia

I feel that I earn my pay from working with the difficult students. If all students were easy then maybe anyone could do this.

Hi Paul,
Just being an educator period makes you feel as though you have earned your pay. Each student is different and this is what makes education so challenging!
Patricia

It's part of our job.Each person is an individual human being, different from anyone else. We all have our own personalities and personality defects.We have to be able to teach the difficult along with thr easy ones.

Many times the fact that an instructor takes the stand he can't be intimidated helps to quell the situation. However, it must be done tactfully and respectfully.

Hi Steve,
I firmly believe that everything that we as educators do must be handled tactfully and respectfully. It's not what is done, but how it's done.
Patricia

I would agree, listening to our differences and different opinions is key to understanding this issue.

Sign In to comment