Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I do not think I woud have thought of including a biography of my credentials. 

I think it's a great idea to encourage students who live in the same area to meet up for discussions. I will definitely encourage my next class to do that.

Create and open environment with my students

I thought the idea of providing a biography and having students post their own is brilliant. It is important to have some understanding of your students and build some trust. It is much easier to do when you meet in a classroom setting on a regular basis. This may be a good alternative formula to try and build that same sense when on a computer learning format. 

I like to be available to my students through a discussion board, email, or text.  They are given every method I can determine so that we can reach out.  I also am available to them outside posted office hours.  As I teach their final courses, they need to be supported academically and personally.

usually for the first two days of my class we work on student bio's and then they have to talk about themselves.  we do a hands on project with playdough also so i guess i would have them draw or add pictures to there online bio

Posting a short bio of yourself and having the students to do the same is a great way to build rapport with your students.

Just like it is important to establish your authority and build relationships with face-to-face classes, it is just as important with online classes. Students will feel more comfortable about their learning experience if they know you are present and available for support.

Things I learned in this module:

• The strategies we use in the classroom are applicable in an online environment.
  • It is important to reach out the the students that is showing difficulty with learning early.
  • The instructor needs to be engaged and present daily.
  • Provide a video clip as well as text version when introducing a new module/lesson.
  • Create and post model answers to assignments/projects.
  • Since we are switching to a online environment in the middle of the school year, I would have my students share their about their online experiences, hesitations, concerns etc so I could make sure I address them and ensure a supportive environment.

It is important to establish a good relationship with student and project your presence and authority.

I learned you need to build trust with your students as well as let the students know you have the credentials and the knowledge to instruct the student on said topic. I will build my profile highlighting my credentials and my experience. While letting my students know that I am there for them.

I have learned that it is important to be both professional and personal. I am using this in my newly formed online class. Students are isolated and worried. I pose a daily question in dealing with this, and I answer the question for how I'm doin it myself. If it is on how to handle classwork without the support of a class room ittself, I often reference getting my Master's degree online and stay positive about the benefits of bing able to navigate online learning.

By having the opportunity to write about myself, and having the students know a little bit about me as my credentials and accomplishments.  I found very important to write promptly feedback to the student's submissions in a timely manner and showing you are there for them if they get stuck or frustrated in any particular section, building trust and having a feel of in class setting environment if you can help out students as their needs arise. 

Hi everyone!

In this section, we learned about strategies we can use to give learners the best e-learning environment that focuses on influencing, persuading, inspiring, and energizing them. Combined, these focuses, help give students the best learning experience possible which will keep them engaged and result in better outcomes overall. Of these strategies, the ones that stood out most to me included answering student questions as quickly and thoroughly as possible (this is something I try to do always so the students feel important) and actively participating in the discussion board. Although we are often only required to post one follow-up response to students, I often try to keep the conversation going as the students mimic our behavior so if we actively engage in online discussions, so will they. 

This section also taught me about the importance of putting a biography into the initial forum posts to help establish a relationship with the student. 

-Danielle 

Respect of the students if important, Allowing the students to feel important.

It is essential for the instructor and the learner to get to know each other in an online platform. 

It's important to establish a relationship and rapport with students through sharing a biography. The biography should include educational background, credentials, and some personal information. It is also important to get to know students. 

Be approachable to your students and always respect their right to privacy - class discussion forum and non-class discussion forum.

I have asked about the students' course of study and why they are taking the course but I really like the idea of asking for a bio from the beginning.  This helps build the relationship between instructor and learner but also helps identify challenges early on so they can be addressed and solved before becoming a huge problem.  I also like the idea of keeping a general discussion forum to complement the weekly graded discussions so that students may interact on a more personal level with me and other students. 

I learned that it is important to show your presence in the course. The students need to feel comfortable that someone is there to support them and that the instructor is available. You should also create and share a bio of yourself and require the students to do the same.

Sign In to comment