Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My experience is different at this time because I already know my students and have relationships with them in to the traditional environment we had up to this point. Thinking back to my own online educational experiences, I can attest that it is very important to create a presence and foster relationships.

To have a good online learning experience, the students should know about you and what makes you the best teacher for that course.  This should include experience, credentials and such.  This will allow the students to know they can ask you questions openly and get an honest answer.  You should ensure your presence in the course by particiapting in discussions wit the class, answer questions when needed and sending reminders about due dates and such.  To develop a relationship online, you should keep that comunication open and know a little about your students as well.  I liked the idea of having them do a bio of themselves.

It is as important to get to know your students regardless of it is online or face to face.

I learned the importance of projecting and maintaining my presence and authority from a distance.

I learnt the importance of building a professional, healthy and positive relationship with each student in a virtual learning environment is as inportant as maintaining virtual presence and projecting authority in an e-learning environment. I realized that, the strategies used in a traditional classroom are very comparable to those used in E-learning.

I like the idea of sharing biographical information to assert authority in the online class as well as learning about one another.  This is something I will use.    

How important it is to manage your class online and to have the trust of the students.  

That adding a more personal elelment is benefical for your students and aids in relationship building.  Also using a general chat and not having course related responses mixed in.  I am now considering doing a Chat area for my students to express their thoughts, feelings and worries about this virus we are currently home for.  

I love the idea of establishing a relationship with the learners.  Since I already have one, I can use these ideas to maintain.  I liked the ideas of how to reach out to a student who seems to be uninvolved.

I learned that relationships matter!  Just like in the classroom, students will work for you if they know you care.

It has been reiterated of the importance of developing a relationship with learners participating in virtual learning.  I have learned to be a facilitator and let learning occur through assignments and discussion among the learners.  Sharing a short bio of myself and my expectations for the course can impact the ease of e-learning and provide assurance to the learners that I am knowledgeble of best practices of virtual learning.  If I ever teach a 100% on-line course, I will definitely apply the suggestions in this module. I think they are the foundation of success for both the teacher and learner.

I have learned that it is important to establish a close relationship with my students. I will ensure that I creat a facility in the CMS that will allow me to have  synchronous and asynchronous discussions with my students

I have learned that the visual cues that student might receive in a regular classroom setting aren't as easy to transmit in an on-line enviroment.  A higher value will need to be placed on written communication, leaving less chance for misinterpation.

Just like in a traditional classroom, it's crucial to maintain a relationship with students. It's even more imperative that contact and feedback remain constant for the students to remain engaged. For my students, it will be difficult to transition to online because they're used to having a teacher nearby. Human interaction will be necessary for this transition so I will need to look into video chat options to keep that connection.

Building relationships is so important in any educational setting, but still important online as well.

I have in the past experienced where forum moderators were either non-existent or domineering in discussions

Seems useful to have students submit a bio at the start of the term and have them include a means of contact. This alone can mitigate so many issues.

I learned how to establish authority and presence from a distance as well as several techniques to create relationships with the learners.

I learned the importance of projecting your presence and authority in an e-learning environment while establishing relationships with your students.

Doing Biographys are things that I complete in my traditional class at the beginning of each year.

Sign In to comment