Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reply to Stephanie Foster's post:Hi Stepahnie,

I think it is indeed a good idea to add a brief bio and profile picture to the instructor's credentials. The students are given opportunity to do thesame. This helps class members  to know each other and be more comfortable.

I feel like this particular module was a little irrelevant to my specific situation because I have already been in the classroom with my students and built understanding and expectations with my kids. I have spent 7 months building relationships with them and we have a complete understanding of authority and classroom structure.  Although I already have these things, this module can be helpful to me with deciding different ways to be supportive to my students during this COVID-19 span.

Providing students with knowledge of of the teachers experience and content within the course.  Sharinf of ideas and experiences are important.

I have always felt like it was important to get to know your students and I will continue to get to know them. Even online!

I learned that not only should I post a biography of myself, but I should also have students post a brief biography so that I can get to know them and other students can get to know each other as well. I had not thought about students being in different time zones, so I will consider that when setting up office hours.

Create a positive learning experience with yur students. 

Get to know your students and allow them to know you. Post a photo or text telling your students about your credentials and expertise. As a first assignment, have students post a video about themselves and encourage them to view one another's as well. It is possible to still hold students accountable for their learning by using scheduled reminders.

Reply to Esther Eke-Huber's post: I agree. It makes me feel more at ease when I find people around me who share similar experiences and I would imagine that could be the case for online learners, knowing their are others in the same situation.

I truly liked this module. Particularly the new students bio and introduction ideas. I truly like interacting with the students, knowing more about them with a small bio encourages them as it shows them we care about them individually and not only see them as a "number" behind a computer screen. 

We went from face-to-face to online rather quickly because of the pandemic.  Because we had already met, I didn't think about the need to introduce each other and encourage students to read other students' bios and to meet if they are in the same locale.  If we continue online instruction going forward, this is useful information to not take for granted that the students need to know each other and me and feel comfortable interacting with each other.

I learned that it is important to introduce yourself to your students by creating a bio. It sets the standards for the course by providing students with a personal touch to an virtural enviornment

I learned how to classroom strategies for online coures, how to project a prescence and authority, as well as how to build relationships.  The first thing that I would do as an online instructor is to write an introduction letter sharing my education, experience, achievements, and hobbies.  I would instruct my students to do the same.  Finally, just as in the classroom, I would set expectations, create an evironment of mutal respect, and build relationships constantly.

I just changed my first assignment to them posting a short bio, since they can;t share it with everyone in person they will upload it to our class "teams" chat

Making sure to connect with each student is as important as having the classmates connect with each other to provide the support that will help in keeping them engaged and learning. 

Establish a presence in the discussions to ensure the discussions stay on track and to the point. Addressing and the use of personal informaiton in the discussions tells the student you are interested in what they are saying.

We as teacher need to establish relationships with our students, we need to get to know them as if we were in a physical environment/classroom and not a virtual one. Also, our students need to establish relationships with each other. 

Instructor must be engaged and create engagement

I have learned effective ways of introducing myself and making meaningful connections with learners. I will use this approach so that students do not feel overwhelmed in reading my entire biography. A short video may be my mode of introduction.

I learned it is important to connect with your students and maintain a close connection throughout the course. Contacting students that might be having issues, such as late or missing assignments through email or text will help them stay connected and involved with the class. 

Transitioning to Online only Learning in the middle of the Semester is a little different than starting off with a class online but getting to know your students and developing that professional relationship goes a long ways toward student achievement!

Sign In to comment