Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important for students to have evidence of your  competence in the subject matter in order for you to project and effective online authority, and a good way to do this is to post a short biography of yourself listing your educational credentials, achievements, and professional experience.  It is equally important to establish a relationshp with your students individually, and the most effective way to do that is to have the students post their own personal biography as a first assighnment.  

It is important that students are able to connect with their online instructor. This can be achieved by introducing yourself along w/listing your crdentials in your bio. It is also important the instructor connect w/the student. This can be achieved through responses to each student-on a personal level.

I learned that you project your presence, project your authority, and establish a relationship the same way, whether face-to-face or e-learning. I just need to make sure that i do what is recommended to be successful.

Reply to Travis Miday's post:I like the iidea of posting a welcome message and incorporating a short bio.

I learned and I like the idea of getting to know the student and letting the student know who I am and some of my interests.  I do this with my regular classes but I didn't really think it would be important online but I was wrong.

An introduction and short bio are crucial to add to your course as it adds the human element.  Also, having the students share about themselves makes the students more comfortable as well.

I need to give students an opportunity to learn about me and for them to communicate who they are to each other and to their instructor.

It seems important to establish online respect from the start for students, as no face-to-face meetiings are being scheduled at this time. Giving students credentials and learning about students creates a positive learning experience.

The importance of establishing a strong presence and a good relationship with the student.

The importance of eliciting and providing feedback both increases your understanding of student perceptions and helps to set a tone of strong online presence and support. 

I learned how important it is for an  online instructor to come  packaged with academic credentials, years of professional experience, and accomplishments. This package will allow the instructor to establish his authority and will influence the building of  confidence and trust among  students.

GW

It is important to establish the guidelines and authority of a teacher while building student relationships.

I think the bio is a great way for everyone to learn something about each other.

The instructor has to establish authority by letting students know that he/she is a subject matter expert. Academic credentials, years of experience in the field and in teaching, and accomplishments related to both his/her field and in education will reassure the students that they will learn from you as the IOR. Knowing some information about your studnets: learning style, oher responsiblities, educational background and work experiences, etc. will better help you develop individual developmental plans as the IOR.

It is important to share a brief biography of yourself and request that students provide their own to facilitate your relationship with students.  

What have you learned from this module and how do you intend to apply it?

I liked the idea of "projecting your authority" as the course instructor by inserting yourself in the LMS.  I also liked the idea of students creating some sort of biographical description that other students can access. I do something similar with FlipGrid and think that i can enhance my 1st day activity to include more biographical information. 

I have learned that I need to adopt a multitude of strategies to energize my students through elearning.

I plan to help my students feel comfortable and secure with my e-classroom.  I want them to follow my regular classroom rules by helping them feel respected, be prepared and following directions/dealines.

Students need to feel comfortable with an instructor on-line and getting to know your teacher online can help them. 

Our school is in a unique situation because we were in physical class for three qtrs.  We are transitioning to online, like muchof the country, because of COVID19.  My students know me and I know them.  However, I am posting a bio with information they might not know and asking them to share something I don't know about them (like/dislike, hobby, food favorite - something we haven't discussed.) I will also send a personal message to all students.  I feel this is critical during the struggle we all face.

I took my entire Master's program online and I never truly understood the reasoning behind some of the things that my professors would have me do, such as the biography.  I think even though I am starting this online learning piece later in the semester, it will still be fun especially for my ninth grade students to make these biographies and possibly post them on something like FlipGrid so that they can use videos.

Sign In to comment