Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Presence, authority, and relationship are important concepts for the E Learning experience. Establish, and maintain instructor presence and authority. Develop instructor - student relationships.

Being consistent is very important and that includes the weekly Home Page that I create - a feature recently added by the College I teach for and which works great - and to also use Announcements effectively. I already utilize the biography feature to emphasize my qualifications and give a little history of my own degree completion Online and earning my MBA Online so students can trust me.  I share a hobby - photography - by sharing some example photos from my collection. Something I need to take better advantage of is the "Chat" feature that we have built into the course. I prefer an email or with urgent matters, a text message for assistance, but that means the students have to use a different vehicle or app whereas Chat is built right into the CMS. Perhaps establishing specific "available" hours for that is the way to go but either way, I need to explore that better to offer the additional channel effectively. 

This module provided a great basis for developing the initial contact between student and instructor. I liked the guidelines for establishing a path of introduction to the course and instructor and the ease of student's stress through a enriched welcoming learning environment.

You as the instructor have to provide more time setting the foundation for the online course. This will help in the overall success of the student. I must remember to be patient and take my time in the transition to online learning.

I think it's a good reminder that things we take for granted in face-to-face settings, like getting to know our students and their interests, are going to take a bit more effort to do online, but are still possible. I like the part about having students post bios about themselves. You can really get to know them that way, and it starts to build a community between the students so they don't feel so isolated. 

As a new instructor, I didn't realize the implications a biography can have when establishing a student-teacher relationship. Sharing my successes and credentials with students will foster a better professional relationship. I plan on updating my bio in Canvas. 

Just like in a face-to-face classroom setting, the teachers presence is vital. From the beginning I need to establish an atmosphere of trust, harmony, understanding, integrity, and respect.  Starting the course with a brief biography of myself, to include a professional head shot and a few tidbits such as hobbies is a way to develop a relationship with the students. Students are encouraged as well, to post a biography. Several ways I have my presence known is through communication tools such as email, REMIND app, posting office hours, overseeing projects, providing constructive timely feedback, leading and monitoring (facilitating). You want your students to know you are "Not a Robot."  They need to know that you are there for them. 

Reply to Lianna Dasilva's post:Yes, Lianna. It does indeed. They see you as a "real" person and "not as a robot." It "humanizes" the course and I find decreases student anxieties. 

It is important to build relationships even with online learning

I learned the importance of having a biography with both academic achievements and professional experience.  Currently I do read all of my students profiles and will bring up their experiences as I discuss certain topics.  

What have you learned from this module and how do you intend to apply it? Take a few minutes to post your response and learn more from your peers.

Discussion Board.

I learned it is essential to apply classroom strategies in the same matter as if I was teaching a face-to-face class. I learned there are three essential things I can do to help my students and myself as an instructor and they are projecting my presence, projecting my authority, and establishing relationships.  These three things are attributes used in face-to-face classrooms as well. I would apply all these strategies in an online learning environment with my students. I enjoy engaging with my students and I like knowing things about them, so the establishing relationships bullet points are very good things to implement.

Evonne Dantzler

I think the most powerful thing I learned in this module is to have each student post a short biography of themselves.  This will be particularly beneficial to the class we will start online vs. the other group that has already had in class time with the instructor.

I have always used break out sessions for students to get to know each other during the 1st week of a traditional class and I have always given a brief summary of myself.  I learned that having students doing a biography on themselves in an on line setting is not only acceptable, but a great a tool for students to learn about each other as well as me getting to know my students.  

In order to build a community of learners in your online course, you need to have good rapport with the students. One way to build good rapport is through sharing a biography of yourself and then having students post a biography. I will apply my learning by using this strategy in my online course.

I learned that it is a good idea to research the students beforehand and to send an individual email to each student to welcome them to the course.  I am going to start doing that.  I also am going to start using my Instructor Virtual Office space to ask them questions about studying and managing being a student so that they can see that I am here to support them mentally, emotionally, etc. 

Help foster a positive and trusing learning environment by posting a bio of your credentials and work experience, along with a photo. Having the students do the same provides the instructor with valuable infromation with which to connect with their students.

Projecting Your Presence-making your students comfortable and secure that you will be supportative and truley want their success. Answersing their queries in a timely manner with constructive feedback.  

This section talked about the importance to build a relationship with the students from the beginning of the class.  First, give them your biography of your academic accomplishments and experience.  Then, students first assignment is to provide you with a bio.  Teacher needs to reach out personally to each student within the first week.  Also, maintain set office hours and provide constant feedback and encouragement to your students.

I have learned that it is important to create a positive learning enviroment for my students. Getting to know each student, and what I can provide to better assist them with their online learning experience. It is crucial to their learning environment, to get to know each other through a short Bio, that way your students will know that you are approachable, and feel comfortable coming to you with questions about their assignments.

Just like in class teaching it is all about relationships!

Hi Dough,

You are right. When students know about their instructor, it gives them sense og direction and they realize someone care and is watching

Sign In to comment