Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Pacing the class intro

I teach the first lab class in a very exciting 'hands on' industry. Over the last six weeks, the students have completed several theory or preparation courses for this lab class. There is lots of information to review for my class and I find it helpful to break up the 'intro' over two days. I review the most important topics on day one, especially safety issues,so that the students have plenty of time to be active in the lab on the first day. Then the second day I finish the remaining topics. Also, each day is built on the last, so I review what the learning objectives were the day before and what the objectives are today and how they relate to each other. Therefore, the class is a constant flow of information that is visited many times.

i can't agree more. i constantly advise my students that there is a mountain of info. most students can only absorb so much at once, so constant re-visiting the source of info and knowledge is imperative

I like your style. Reviewing the material from the previous session before delving into something new is a wonderful way to keep things flowing. I am a bit concerned about taking too much time during review because my students are great at discussions. I will just have to be more firm about staying on track while also answering their questions.

Kristen

Hello Kristen,
Let the students know up front that you are going to give a QUICK review from the previous lesson before introducing today's lesson. You're right, you have to keep the class on task.
Patricia

I love the quick reveiw to get the day started.

Sign In to comment