Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

a challenging student protected by ADA

We currently have a student that has many dibilitating problems, mostly mental, with documentation to be protected by the ADA. What I find is that this student is allowed to get away with so much because of our overly cautious handling that it has become unfair for the other students. It is actually distracting for them and they become discouraged.
I appreciate any suggestions on this situation.
elp

Hi Edna,
Out of my 20 years of teaching, I remember having to deal with two students with mental issues. The two students were unfortunately withdrawn from school due to different incidences. One particular student became EXTREMELY raging with an instructor and an administrator, and the other student was admitted to a mental institution. I apologize, but I do not have any suggestions professionaly in this situation, I do have some personal opinons, but It does not matter what I think personally.
Patricia

Several years ago, at a different institution, there was a student who had Tourette Syndrome. Students worked in a large open computer lab for part of the day. When he had a vocal tic (sometimes 10 or so an hour) the sound reverberated throughout the institution. Amazingly enough the other students became accustomed and he subsequently graduated from the institution. Should he have been denied an education due to something that he had no control over?
Subsequently I have had students self disclose that they had schizophrenia and high order Asperger Syndrome in class. Both students were a delight in class and often added a unique perspective to class.

ADA requires “reasonable accommodations.” If a student’s behavior is effecting the learning of the class, I would talk to the department chair, and to the administrative official charged with reviewing ADA requests.

Hi Edna,

This is an interesting issue, one I have not experienced except for the problem of a student being almost blind. We made adjustments for a person to read to them and I enlarged the handouts for this student to assist.

While not ready to offer any ideas, I do feel we have a few students that do not have mental problems as much as possible drug-like problems. From ADD, ADHA, Anger, Bi-polar, and students drinking a number of "Red Bull" like energy drinks I feel that these chemical cocktails alter the normal amounts of desirable substances (blood sugars, hormomes) and I am equally unprepared to offer any ideas, only questions of how to work with this larger group of students rather than the truely challenged.

Hi Frank,
I've had students with mental disorders, and as long as the students were not disrupting the learning environment it never became a problem. However, I have had students with mental disorders that did disrupt the learning environment, and we had to deal with the students accordingly for the safety and learning of other students. So it depends on whether the student is pleasant or disruptive due to the disorder.
Patricia

Hi Bennet,
I echoe what you have stated. I've experienced working with a blind student and deaf student. Both situations were tough, but we accomdated for the students as much as possible. The state did provide equipment and an interpreter for the deaf student.
Patricia

I understand there are protections for students w/mental disabilties but I wish an instructor could be warned in advance. Sometimes I have been lucky enough to have the Dept. Chair let me know but other times I have not. I have dealt with loud disruptive students (not on meds) who really bring down the morale of all students.

Once a student started crying in class and kept clutching her wrists. She had a meltdown and security had to call 9-11 to pick her up. It is hard to resume class after a situation like this.

Hi Chyrisse,
I certainly understand what you are saying. Generally at my institution, if personnel knows of the mental disability it is shared with instructors. It is good to know information like this.
Patricia

In looking at the responses to this problem so far, I don't see the obvious one. At almost every college, you should have access to student crisis and counseling services. Sometimes the problem requires outside help. Also, has anyone considered talking with the student about distracting other students? Maybe the student has so much going on, they aren't even aware that they are causing extra problems. -Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,
The first step should be to talk to the disruptive student, and if there is a need get higher authority involved.
Patricia

Sign In to comment