Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students and monitoring procedures

What are the adverse effects of poor student monitoring skills? Do you think that you are effectively monitoring your class, why or why not?

Hello Steve,
Yes, I feel as though that I fully monitor my classes. I am constantly walking around the room. I always ask are there any questions, is everyone with me, etc. Adverse effects of poor students monitoring skills can be total confusion and/or relunctancy with participation.
Patricia

The adverse effect would the student failing or not feeling the he\she should even be there. This could cause the student dropping out.

Yes, I do think I monitor my classes effectively. I try to keep my group sizes down that way they can learn the skills, & also that way when I go in to answer questions I can concetrate on a smaller number of students so they feel connected to me. Also during the lectures when I notice only certain students asking questions or answering all the questions themselves I will start calling on the other students to start answering. I will ask students if they understand what we went over & if they look unsure, I will have them explain it back to me to see what they are missing.

Hello Adam,
I get to know my students academic abilities within a few days. I control letting the smart people answer all the time by calling on each student. I also do a lot of active learning. I place a smart student in each group so that the weaker students can learn and get the correct answers so that they feel that they are accomplishing something. I repetively ask my students throughout the lecture are there any questions. You have to make sure your students are with you, otherwise you will lose them, and they will want to drop out of school.
Patricia

Poor student monitoring will cause small problems to become large unmanageable problems.
Class control will suffer, the instructor may loose the respect of many students if a good learning envirorment is not maintained. Concerns with silent or struggling students may not be observed and then addressed.

The longer I teach the better I get at monitoring my classes, of course there is always room for improvement. I am anxious to incorporate some of the recomendations from module 3.

Hi Steven,
Classroom managment is essential. An instructor must always make sure the classroom is conducive for learning.
Patricia

By not monitoring the class, you have no idea what is going on in your class. I try to monitor the students from day one. The only way to keep control, install confidence, gain respect of the students and give the students felling they have made the right discession to take the class and feel that they will gain knowledge and exceptance after and during the class

Hi Charlie,
Monitoring your class is vitally important. Students know immediately that I fully monitor my classes. Monitoring your classes will decrease a lot of the nonsense.
Patricia

if you do not monitor the students learning,you have failed.i do monitor my students.i ask questions to all and all must answer.the one that do not,i ask them only questions that they must answer if they were paying attention.it works.they are ingauged and it makes them feel that they are part of the class instead of just filling a seat.

Hi Timothy,
As an educator, you should be caring enough to want to monitor your students' learning. I can tell you about the progress of every one of my students' learning. You must know what your students can and can not do, and you should always encourage your students to try even harder.
Patricia

I move around the class to observe actions and somtimes to get a reaction. It keeps the studnets on their toes and they never know where i will stop and ask a question

The most adverse affect of poor student monitoring skills is the student or students leaving my class with less information and skill than he or she paid for and should they leave with missed information and skill, would that loss of information and skill adversely affect their earning potential, most likely and that would also affect their families life as well. I think that most of the time I do a pretty good job of monitoring my class because most of the time my students feel that they have gotten their monies worth from the material they have learned, I also have very few concerns or problems arise in my class that the students would call disruptive! I look forward to the opportunity of applying what I have learned with the skills I already have learned.

Hi Steve,
It is important to keep students on their p's and q's so that they remain alert at all times. An instructor does not have a sit down job. We must be on our feet to better observe things.
Patricia

Hi Errol,
I am a firm believer in giving your students their money's worth. It saddens me to see folks paying to go to school, and they miss a lot of class time, thus causing some students not to fully learn everything. I always had the attitude when I was in college, "my mother is paying way too much money for me to miss class."
Patricia

Adverse effects include students disrupting the class, which then affects the ability of the students to learn the topic. I allow a bit of talking, especially when it is about the topic at hand, but it easly blows out of proportion. It is at that time that I have to get everyones attention, regain control, and then continue. I believe that allowing a small amount of conversation keeps the class more lively. Unfortunately,in this respect I probably need improvement. I have worked on this problem the last few phases.

It hurts their ablity to learn I am very effective because I have so much energy , their is no down time in my class

The effects are students that want to talk out of place, disrupt the actions of the class.Also I believe increase the drop out rate for poor class control.
I do believe that I monitor my class, I have very good success rate and I know my students gain allot of knowledge from my class by applied lab tasks and able to explain on a one to one basis there applied knowledge.

Hi Fred,
I allow conversation in my class pertaining to the topic, but I always keep things under control. I love for the lecture/discussion to be very lively.
Patricia

Hi Ronald,
I am energetic as well. I teach night classes also, and my students always comment on my high energy level late at night. I never enjoyed a dull instructor, therefore, I make it a point to be very vivacious.
Patricia

Hi Louis,
I strongly believe, the reason my attendance rate is normally over 90% every grading period is because students enjoy coming to my class. The students know that I am extremely knowledgable and I create a controlled environment that is conducive for learning.
Patricia

Sign In to comment