Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

IDE (Instructional Delivery Expert)

What do you do to maintain your status as an Instructional Delivery Expert? What areas do you think most instructors could use help with?

I do the CEE courses, talk to other instructors to see how they are doing things in the classroom, & last I will ask to sit in their class to watch how they are delivering the information to get more ideas to use in my delivery.

I think what we need help with is keeping the students attention during all parts of the course & their training. Some students just check out when the course/instructor doesn't challenge them or they think the information doesn't pertain to them.

To maintain the status as an IDM I believe is the hardest part for us to do because of our background as technicions. In this industry we are working by ourselves in a lot of cases in the middle of a bunch of other technicions doing similiar work. This is where we need to change our mind set from what can I do and this is mine to how can I help you and what do you need to succed. In this area of training I use the CEE material with not just the idea of get it done but the idea of how do I implement the material into my teaching methods to help improve the student retention of the material not just for taking a test but for long term in work area retention. I also havev purchased some informational CD's on communication and understanding others for developing a better foundation for working with a wide variety of people and working well with all of them and trying to understand where they are coming from in regards to background and the basic understanding they have of how life works.

Since our cirriculum ia mostly standardized I try to give students personal examples of how I was able to repair vehicles with this knowledge or maybe had difficulty because I didn't have this knowledge. If I don't have any of my own examples for hte material I try to draw from my observations of other instructors teaching the material.
I think sometimes instructors get in a rut and need to observe other instructors teaching. This can help them formulate new plans for delivering the material they normally teach even if the instructor they our observing is teaching a different course

I like to observe other instructors present material both in lecture and lab as much as possible. Many times I can pickup additional technical information and delivery techniques that I can incorporate into my presentations.

Trying new delivery techniques and then using the ones that work best in my presentations helps keep the material fresh and the students engaged and also makes my job more enjoyable.

I have found the CEE courses to very helpful also.

Having the opportunity for instructors to observe other delivery methods would help keep an instructor from getting into rut.

i go to seminars and watch and listen how they are delivered and try to incorperate there skills into my lessons.new material,new ideas keep us refreshed and up to date on changes in this industry.we the instructors could use more up to date info to keep the students interested in there future.

i generally give a complete profile of myself at the very beginning of the course to show my knowledge and capabilities. i also use many different teaching techniques and disscussion techniques from examples i or other people have had or expierienced. plus i try to always relate material to them as how it will benefit them in both success and monitarily.

i believe alot of instructors especially newer ones need to learn how to deliver material with confidence and enthusiasm.

My thoughts are to engage the students in the introduction of the class. Ask them what their thoughts are on the different areas and how the knowledge from these areas are going to affect them in the job market. Explaining how the course is laid out gives them some things to shot for and what to expect.
From what I have seen in some situations the instructor isn't constant in what they say and after the first day be come more and more leanant in rules and goals. There is also TOO much time spent on none course related dicussions.

I think every class is different as to how I put the information across to the students. The personality of the class has a lot to do with what will work for them to understand the material. CEE courses and other sources of training are very importanr as far as learning new ways to work with each group of students.

I try to read as much new information about a course material from the different classes I instruct.
I believe most instructors need more help in developing a syllabus with proper content for the course they teach.

make sure students are aware of what is expected in the phase. Keep students involved and motivated in subject matter. Have open descution with students on what they think they should learn,then explane to them how the course will help. Instuctors need help in getting and maintaining class attention and how to motavate a class.

I keep up with new concepts and technology in the area of my classes. I do this through classes and reading with research to inform and bring new ideas to class. I am always looking for new and better ways to present the materials to my students. I challenge my students in class by raising the bar of the class. This has to include constant encouragment and fun in the classroom and lab. Always there to help.

I use the CEE modules and the former CBSD modules, and any training classes that are offered. The most helpful thing I do though is to compare teaching techniques and strategies to enhance my delivery method and style.

I discus and ask for feed back from my students. I find that if their is an open answer and question time I can find the strengths and weaknesses of the discussion time and then some of it can be addressed at that time. The other thing to look for is the expressions on the faces of the students.

I try to show the students what's in it for them, and why the class will help them succeed in the field. Undercar is " the basics", skills that they are expected to know when they start working. It's hard to motivate some students, but CEE courses have given some good ideas for working with them. I've been lucky to crosstrain under some very good instructors and I try to use the techniques they have shown me.

The key to becoming an Instructional Delivery Expert (I.D.E.) is life long learning. By that I mean that we learn from all sources possible; for instance, this C.E.E. course. We also learn from each other. As instructors share their classroom experiences with each other knowledge is exchanged. I think instructors could use help showing their classes the value in the knowledge that the instructor is imparting to them. We all know so well that they will need this information that we don’t realize that the students may not fully appreciate the need for a given block of instruction.

I try to keep updated with the latest and greatest information available regarding the subject matter that I am teaching. Ford Training has been a big help to me along with CEE training in helping me become a better IDE instructor. I have found that observing other instructors delivering material to their classes has been very beneficial to me, it doesn't necessarily have to be subject matter that I am teaching to be beneficial to me. I am sure that most instructors would agree that demonstrated techniques and teaching skills demonstrated in a class room environment is one of the best ways to learn how to deliver better class room presentations.

At the beginning of the course I give out examples of my career experiences and discuss the importance of mastering the basics as well as specific product knowledge. This gives the students a "bird's eye" view of what might be expected of them and the WIFM for the particular couse that is being taught. As a former college graduate and then technician I feel that as a technical trainer we have to attempt to put ourselves in the shoes of the students and help them build a dream and a vision for their future automotive career. To maintain a high level of technical skill as instructors we need to re-visit the dealerships often to regain touch with the repair side of the industry. Also, getting more trainig and observing other instructors deliver their class materials can help us see other methods and help improve our flexibility as an instructor.

i try to keep the class up to date using a virety of media. i bring in current events relating to the topic we discuss. the class seems to enjoy this and it helps them to know what is expected when they leave school

I maintain my status as an Instructional Delivery Expert by giving examples of my experiences out in the field. I can back up the materials that I am teaching with real live situations that I have been involved with in the field. This hopefully gives me a little creditability as a IDE. I also monitor the test scores and make sure the students are not missing the same questions every time. That way I know I am covering all the imformation the y need to pass the test.

Sign In to comment