Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mistakes

Describe what you consider to be the biggest classroom mistake you have made. Describe how you have avoided and helped others avoid that same mistake.

Hi Steve,
When I first started teaching 20 years ago, I would sugar coat a lot of things. I no longer sugar coat anything with my students; I shoot straight from the hip. Give me a description of your biggest mistake and how you corrected it as an instructor.
Patricia

Hi Patricia,
My biggest mistake as a new instructor was I was too easy at the beginning of the course and then I could not rein them in after I had lost control. I found (quickly) that it is easier to be strict at the beginning of a course and loosen up as time goes on than the other way around. Be clear on the expectations, interpret the rules evenly for all, and follow through with what ever cause and effect was given when giving the expectations.
Steve

MY BIGGESTS MISTAKE WAS TAKING THE STUDENTS FOR GRANITE. THAT THEY KNEW WHO I WAS AND WHAT I WAS ALL ABOUT. WHAT I DID WAS JUMP RIGHT INTO A LECTURE THAT WAS LOUD AND Obnoxious. THAT WAS NOT CONSTRUCTOIVE AND I LOST ABOUT 1/4 OF MY CLASS BECASU OF THIS. IT TOOK ME THE REST OF THE COURSE TO OVERCOME THAT MISTAKE.

Since THEN I HAVE ALWAYS MADE SURE THS STUDENTS WERE USED TO MY STYLE AND WHOULD BRING THEM ALONG SLOWLY AND I WOULD GET TO KNOW EACH STUDENT BY THE END OF THE DAY.

I’ve SHARED THIS EXPERICE WITH NUMEROUS INSTURTOR SO THAT THEY DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE

Hi Brad,
I have been teaching for 20 years. It is imperative to let your students know who you are on the very first day. I always take about 20 minutes to tell my students about me as an instructor, my teaching style, methods, personality, compassion for them, firmness, etc. My speil on day 1 gives me the first opportunity to build a rapport with them. I always use a very gentle and calm way in my speil. I can immediately see the students become cormfortable. What approach do you take on the first day so that your students get to know who you are as an instructor?
Patricia

letting the class run the class.i would be up there lecturing and half the class would be talking and the others would want to learn.i would sit down until everyone was quiet and start again.just took 1 time.at begining of the phase,i tell them who,what,where,when,why i am .there has not been very much resistance in my class.i tell them,this is my world,you are just visiting it for 3 weeks.

Hello Timothy,
On Day 1, you should walk into the classroom with a presence about yourself to let the students know that you are in full control. I never have to give a speil about me being in control because I walk in on Day 1 with a certain presence, however, I am always personable as well.
Patricia

I would have to say classroom control. It can get a little rough when the class has been together for 12 weeks and there is a dynamic there that I don't like. I have to assert myself right away so they will do the the tasks the way they are supposed to be done, not the way the students want do them. If I can't get them to change, I will try to talk to them one on one to try to find out what is going on.If that doesn't work I will hand out a couple of write ups to get their attention.

The biggest mistake was class control. I used to let the talkers take over and i tried to talk over them. This did not work so i would address the problem. Now I call on them in hopes they would talk about the subject at hand or pipe down

Hi Adam,
Remember, you are the authoritative figure. You should always set the precedence for the tasks. It is your class, and you are in control, not the students.
Patricia

Hi Steve,
Why would you let your students control you when you are suppose to be the authoritative figure?
Patricia

Being over prepared and finishing my lecture in less time than planned. Fortunately I was able to realize what I had done and I had planned for some hands on lab time the next day because I didn't think I would have time for the lab hands on that day, so I was able to use the lab time to fill in the time gap I had created by finishing up my lecture way early. I also realize that I had better slow it down or the 3 week block of time would be over in a couple of days, so I made a conscious effort to speak slower and incorporate the students into the lecture more readily.

Hi Errol,
Just for future reference, always have extra materials, activities, assignments, etc. available, just in case you do finish what you had planned early. Finishing early with nothing left to be done can be looked upon as poor planning versus being over prepared.
Patricia

Before my first class I was advised by several seasoned instructors to set the rules and procedures first thing, after all you could always ease up later on. Well I over reacted and was way to strict and inflexible, more like a dictator than a teacher.
I remember there was a student in that class who was a challenging student for any instructor, very strong headed and rebelled and we butted heads. That student eventually left the class. At that point I was definetely questioning whether teaching was the right career choice for me.
Well ten years later I look back on that incident and realize how I could have handled that student differently. Being less emotional and confrontational may have gotten that student to come around and become successful in the class.

I feel that not setting the rules at the begining of the course is not only difficult on you but others that might have to cover your class.Also it will help other instructors follow your lead.

The mistake of trying to be their friend! I had many of the aforementioned situations occur,and classes were varying degrees of Hades for all concerned as I tried to fix things mid-way through each three week class. I eventually discovered that the best way to handle a class is to be friendly from the first day of class, but ensure they know where the line is that we do not cross. This way I am approachable but they know that I run the class. I agree with Patricia that "shooting staight" is best. Most students that i've dealt with over the years have stated that while they may not agree with me, they appreciate the fact that I "tell it like it is", and wish everyone else would do the same. It eliminates confusion and everyone knows where everyone else stands.

I try to coach struggling instructors on what has and has not worked for me over the years, with the understanding that each individual has to arrive at their own "best practices", as different personalities support different methods.

The bigest mistake is sitting down and trying to take a class with students and then trying to get up and teach the class with young adults it is hard to get respect !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The biggest mistake I have made in a class was to bring my home problems to the class and I believe now home issues should be left at home and work issues should be left out of the class room. How I avoid this now is I know what is presentible to class and what is not propper so I pass this knowledge to fellow instructors to not repeat mistakes.

Hi Steven,
The seasoned instructors gave the same advice as I give to a green instructor. You are on point, you are a teacher and not a dictator. Maybe things would have worked out for that particular student, if you knew then what you know now, but you do know it now, and I am sure you know how to handle these type of students today.
Patricia

Hi Mike,
These are our children so to speak, and you are on point, we need to make it painless for others when a substitute (babysitter) is needed.
Patricia

Sign In to comment