Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

respect

I always treat people (students ) the way I expect to be treated with respect . even with proplem students I never talk down to them. Dan Butler

ratioale for learning.. past success storys

I like to include storys about the success of former students that I keep in touch with that are now successful in thier jobs. It helps reenforce the value of the material and skills I am teaching.

Students that are ready to give up.

The students are ready to give up i try give encouragement to on keep on keeping on. I tell them that nothing good comes easy.

Keeping students interested in class.

To keep my students interested in class i have tried to learn some of the types of cars they love. I reference these cars during the lecture.

keeping it fun

In order to kep learners learning you need to keep it fun and up beat

students ready to quit

students that are ready to quit can be save. If you can identfy the condition before he or she leaves for good, you can talk to this person and just talk. Talking will sometimes bring out the actual cause of the problem that is leading him or her to want to leave. the problem many time has nothing to do with school and if identfied may be able to be resloved. this might lead to a save.

buying in.... the buffet of knowledge

I like to use a little story I call "The Buffet". I will tell this story right after lunch on the first day of class. I like to start by asking the class if they had a good lunch. Then I start talking about how much I like going to a buffet for lunch because I get to eat as much as I like. In short, the story goes on about how I can never leave the buffet without overeating because I want to get my money's worth. I then relate that information to the school and how we are… >>>

challenges

after working with a new student and you come to the conclusion that the field is not for them based on them strugling and not grasping the meterial. you bring it to there attention and they still choose to continue. i then try to prepare them for a much easier area of the field, but not as high as their expectations. would you say thats wrong.

Remembering student names.

I have found that remembering the student names reinforces their belief that they matter to the instructor. If the student believes that they matter, the quality of their learning experience will be vastly improved.

Setting up work groups

How do you set up students in work groups and why? Is it better to have groups divided into 1 student with really good Cognitive and Psychomotor and two that do not. Or would it be best for groups to keep the stronger and weaker together.

mad students

The class I teach we talk about anger customers, so I bring that part back up to them to get them to talk.

cheater

Some times the cheater gets kicked out of school.

one on one

One on one chats with students is a great way to really get to know the students.

Getting students Interested in Learn

One method that I like to use which works very well for me since I teach at an automotive institute is relating things to topic that interest students Like when I teach electrical courses I realate many things to the performance aspect of vehicles which works well.

Anger students

Students have many different reasons for being anger weather good or bad the key is to listen and see whats on there minds.

being an effective monitor

Walking around the class and teaching gives you the ability to see what's going on in the class and interact with the students instead of standing at desk and talking all day interaction is key.

Handling late students

Explaining that everyone has the same responsibility to be on time with no exceptions and late is late weather it's 1 minute or ten it's still the same thing and will be delt with accordingly

syllabus useage

the ability to lay out the cuorse policies objectives goals topics gives the student the direction that the class will take and what is expected of them.

unfocused students

Usually when you have a student or students that aren't focused there is a reason for it. Either there are personal problems ar perhaps they just have no interest in the topic you are presenting. As a facilitator, you need to identify these students early on before it effects there grade or perhaps the rest of the class. If you can relate the topic to something that may interest them or tailor parts of the topic to various situations that may interest said students they will become more enguaged. Sometimes if you have a student with personal issues and they… >>>

Student anger.

Instructors must be careful when addressing student anger. It may be real or perceived. If real it must be taken care of appropriately. However, if perceived it could be an instructor problem and care must be taken.