Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Identifying student's that are becoming frustrated.

Because online instructors lack the audio/visual component of student/teacher interactions, I'd like to learn some best practices for identifying the warning signs of an online student becoming frustrated.

Getting the information into long term memory & using it.

Often students are motivated to get a good grade, but fail to “own” the information. I encourage my students to “own” the information rather than just learn it to pass a test. If they review the material, find it relevant to their furture lives, discuss it, try to teach it to someone and if possible apply it; then they “own” it. In other words they have put it into long term memory. Then when they need to use it in the real world they have it. Or can easily go to the source for details. Student need to be encouraged… >>>

Encourage Questions

Many students are afraid to ask questions. They may have been humiliated or embarrassed in the past and are very shy about asking questions. I tell my students at the on-set of the class that I encourage questions. Most of the time other students have the same question and they are thankful that someone was brave enough to ask a question. When students do ask a question, I answer it in as positive a tone as I can and thank them for asking. When they complain that other instructors do not answer or answer in a negative manner, I encourage… >>>

Student Frustrations

What advice can you offer concerning fostering better social interactions between students in the classroom? With students ranging in age from 18 to 60 in some of our programs, we occasionally run into very volatile confrontations between class members who are fed up with the "high school mentality" of fellow students, the issue of classroom cliques, and the "he/she was talking about me" complaints. One situation escalated when three women ages 23 to 28 (all mothers!!) began screaming at each each other, the police were called, and the Director of Education threatened to withdraw all three students if they continued… >>>

Motivating yourself as an instructor in a career college

I also do attend most graduation celebrations, art shows, or any other college event where instructors and students communicate outside the classroom environment. It is so rewarding to talk an to observe successful examples (students) and to hear encouraging words from my students. That alone is a great motivator to do my best in every class I teach!

Rapport with students and High Standards

I introduce myself to new students by explaining my experience as a design professional and as an experienced instructor; stating my high expectations from my students' performance and presenting my "friendly" and approachable personality - either inside or outside the classroom situation. I gain respect from my students immediatelly after announcing these qualities and stating my high standards of evaluation.

How do I motivate myself?

I go to every graduation and watch the students, families, and friends celebrate the students' success. How do you recharge your batteries?

Learn about students career goals

One way I like to start a class with a new group of students is to ask them why they chose this particular field/career - in my case, Interior Design.

Most successful motivation idea

The one idea that has been most successful for me is have the student write on a 3X5 Card...Why did I select the Blank Program...about half way throught the course...if the student is having a problem I get together with them and show the student their card and ask if something has changed in their desires. How about yours?

Learning disability or lack of interest

I am also interested in the understanding of lack of interest, time management skills, etc... versus learning disability problems. How do instructors deal with situations like that?

Reinforcing concepts in the class

Using contemporary media examples (such as films and commercials) allow me to reinforce concepts within a familiar platform. This helps students retain course concepts as they start to recognize the active role of these concepts as they are demonstrated in popular forms.

The "Dream Job" as specific motivation

I have found that asking a student exactly where the want to end up and connecting all future tools and learning directly to that outcome helps students focus on the prize one project, one class, one quarter or semester at a time.

Involving students in project subject matter selection

You can Involve students in project subject matter selection as long as the chosen options meet project and learning requirements

Personally greeting each student at the door preceding class

Supports the human aspect

Bringing field professionals into the learning process for motivation

Adding proffessionals as project of techniques facilitators or project critique assistants has proven to be an enthusiasm and motivational plus.

Thinking outside of the proverbial box...

What are some other ways to get out of a class slump/rut?

Assessments as possible problems?

By providing students with the opportunity to assess each project, could this create an atmosphere where students will question their assignments? Could this be detrimental to achieving course objectives?

Student Surveys

Issuing surveys on the first day of class awards me with information about students' career goals, experience in the subject, and personal interests - all variables that help me to develop a successful learning environment.

Learning disabilities or lack of interest?

How can an instructor discern between a student's inability to grasp a concept or general lack of interest in the subject?

Job placement as motivation

By bringing in former graduates who are working in their prospective fields as guest speakers or critics for final projects, we can show our students how the relevance of their learning.