Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Mentally scared

Sometimes you encounter a student that has a very bad back ground. They feel the whole worlds against them. How can you get that student to let their guard down enough to realize thats not the case in the short time we spend with them.

Empowerment

In every class you have the superstars very out going.But what about the shy stunt?What is a proper way to get the student to participate,and boost their confidence level?

to old to learn or young stuborn

Being a 30ish year old teacher I see a different view of both. My question is,is it possible to be to old to learn or to young and stuborn to listen to experienced people? What about combo's of both?

Sharing personal experiences....

I have been instructing for over 8 years and have found that sharing personal experiences from my own schooling helps every type of student...because no matter how diversified, they can all relate...and most often, whether the experience is positive or negative, the student feels "they too, can accomplish the task...you did, and you are now the instructor".

Story time

In the 6 weeks I have my students (two 3 week classes) I use stories to relate to the subject. I have a friend (mostly made up) I call John, he is my "Dufus" that seems to always screw up or get it wrong. My stories always relate to the subject being discussed and usually have a funny part in them...that keeps the students attention. Most of the stories are short and to the point but some are a little more involved. I feel these stories break up the dull daily routine and have often had students ask for a… >>>

Managing a "cohort"

As a veteran of a cohort-styled vocational school, and now as an instructor in a similarly styled format, I have found that managing the individual needs of the students for recognition, acceptance, praise, competition, etc, is sometimes best juxtaposed against the group dynamic. ' My own experience is that the most lasting impressions of vocational school are those of my cohort - not the instructors, per se, or necessarily the administration or facility. So, knowing this, I feel I can capitalize on this dynamic by, in addition to individual needs, meeting the larger, and more diverse, personality of the group… >>>

New students shadowing students close to graduating.

We have had first-quarter students "shadow" and sit in the classes of students about to graduate in order to instill the sense of belief in the program. It helps to show new students that what they are presently studying can get them to their ultimate goal of graduating.

Empathy

This idea of empathy seems very important in the teaching setting. Students want to feel that their instructor understands their situation, or at least wants to. However, I'm not sure you can teach someone to feel empathy. Perhaps if a person is sympathetic by nature, they will bring this with them to the field of teaching? Any thoughts on this? Can empathy be taught?

Professional Memberships

One effective practice we like to use is encouraging our students to join the local chapter of professional chefs as a student culinarian. Attending the monthly meetings helps them to network. Thinking of themselves as already being professionally affiliated is a boost to self esteem and often gets them involved in professional activities, whether it be fundraising, chairity volunteerism, oreducational/competitive.This helps them focus their goals and enables them to see themselves as a member in the field already.

Never Have a Bad Day

One motivation reinforcer I've found is consistency. Stay consistently positive with your class and sooner or later they will tag along. Ask people "How ya doin'" and the majority of them seem to want to complain or at least be non-committal. I have bad days like everyone else but never own up to it. When you put forth a positve mind-set people will come along with you - start dragging along and they will drag with you, and where's the fun in that??? I'm having a great day - how 'bout you?

Teamwork

In many occupations today teamwork is as highly sought after as individual skills. We have many teambuilding techniques (though I'm always looking for more)but my immediate question is how can we measure a students ability to work in and with a team and just how much of the grade should that represent? I'm of the opinion that a students level of participatiion and professionalism should count just as much if not more than their score on some multiple choice quiz. But how to accurately measure such a subjective trait, thats the question at hand.

A Library Without Windows or Doors

I hate to resort to the negative to illustrate the positive, but my friend Dr. Bob is the antithesis of the empathetic, motivational instructor. He is a brilliant man and has accumulated vast amounts of knowledge and experience. However, a Dr. Bob class is an excercise in monotone, rote, hyperbolic rhetoric followed by standardized tests. Discussions are few, opinions are discouraged and class morale is non existant. His research has given him tenure so he will probably be quoting the same notes from his death bed. He is respected in his field but reviled by his underachieving students. Poor Dr.… >>>

What was the question?

Have you ever changed jobs and found yourself on "auto pilot" heading for your old job? Or taking until mid-January to write the correct year on your checks? As instructors I think we sometimes also flip the auto-pilot switch. We need only think back to some classes we had in past years to recognize the huge difference between an interesting, engaging, educational session -- and a 50-minute rote snooze fest. Our greatest assest as teachers is a fresh and everchanging perspective on our subject matter. You should have your syllabus and class notes cleaned at least as often as your… >>>

keeping them focused

I play words association games and split the class in 2

I let them know I care

I let my students know that I actually love what I do and that they need to continue even though it is hard.

The many faces of preparation

I think it's important to note that it is not always easy for teachers to be at their best. I once taught an intensive 3-hour class four days a week and it was SO HARD to stay alert and motivated and to keep the students alert and motivated. It's important to be our best which means getting sleep, eating right, preparing our lessons fully and remembering that being a teacher is both not easy and extremely important.

A Motivated Instructor Motivates

It wasn't until this term, unfortunately, that I realized when I changed my ATTITUDE and thoughts of being infront of a class that I was more engaged with the student and what I was there to accomplish. Boy, does ATTITUDE play an important part of every aspect of life?!?! ATTITUDES REALLY ARE CATCHY! This term has been one of the most satisfying yet! I believe for myself and the students.

Guest Speakers

Having Guest Speakers relating to and pertaining to the course of study seem to break the day to day same 'ol same 'ol of the classroom setting. In my opinion, this allows the student to ask questions of the Speaker who relates directly to the subject matter. I teach Professional Development; we had a representative from a local Online Job Listing/Posting organization. The speaker was able to answer, and ease fears of the high school age student up to the nontraditional student, regarding Resume Writing, Interviewing, and the Job Search from a Professional perspective.

The First Day of Class

The first day of class is so vital in assessing the needs of the individual students, especially with a new enrollment. The first day of class and the first week of a new semester start is so important to me. In addition to giving the course overview, syllabi etc. I take the time to have each person introduce themselves, share their backgrounds and state their expectations. I share my expectations about the progression of class to hopefully establish some common ground with the people that I am just getting to know. Any suggestions or ideas? Yolanda Pope

Teaching Through Example

I believe that when the teacher displays their motivation for instructing a class through their passion for and knowledge of the subject, the students will have an easier time motivating themselves to participate.