Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Personally greeting each student at the door preceding class

Supports the human aspect

Personally greating each student when they enter the classroom was difficult at first; however, after concetrating on my deficiency in that area I became quite confortable with it. It certainly had a positive effect on me as well as the students.

Hi Ken,
Great to hear of your success. This is a critical and essential part of being an instructor. You have now made it a part of your daily skill as an instructor.
Good Job!
Gary

September 1966 - As I approached the classroom doorway for my high school senior English course, I was shocked to see the teacher introducing himself to each student entering the room. I've never forgotten that handshake or the teacher. Throughout my educational endeavors, he was one of the two best instructors I've encountered. He immediately established a level of communication, respect, rapport, dignity, and authority. Doorway greetings and introductions set the stage and tone for interaction throughout the semester. I've had great success in the classroom by adopting this simple and effective technique.

Hi Scott,
Thank you for this great story. It should serve to motivate other instructors. As you mention this simple act of establishing respect and rapport has made a life long impression on you. This man also gave you a model to follow. I hope that somewhere along your career you said "thank you" to the professional.
Gary

Ken,

I comend you for taking this step. I have a couple of older instructors that work for me, and I am concerned that they may too set in their ways and a little "stuffy" and therefore would not want to great students at the door. Any words of advice on how to motivate these instructors to interact more?

Thanks,

Norma

this practice is a SOP (standard operating procedure) at our campus.

Hello Todd:

I must admit to sometimes feeling such a lack of time that I visit and wait for all the students to be seated before the bell and do not pay attention to speaking with each individual and calling them by name. I will speak to each student and call tem by name from now on! Last semester I began a class on the first day, knowing that we would be out a day for a holiday and feeling the pressure of getting all the information in during a shorter time span, without even intruducing myself or letting the students know about MY background. I want to begin this new semester on a more relaxed note!

Beth in Texas

I think that the "meet and Greet" idea is great, For a couple of reason the main reason is it lets the student know that you do care about them, and also for schools that has a dress code it gives the instructor to correct any gress code issues before the class starts.

We have a "Meet & Greet" policy. This gives the students a welcome to the class and gives the Instructor a chance to screen students entering the classroom for dress code infractions.

Hi Ken,

In some ways I envy you as you have that ability to greet your students. Online training makes that a little difficult, the best I can do is to add a page or screen with a greeting which is not very personal. Sending an email after they have enrolled is another alternative, it just does not hit home.

Do you perhaps have any suggestions?

I can see the advantage of doing it on the first day of class but I have doubts where or not I can do it on a daily basis. Is that what we are talking about here? As far as checking for dress code violations do you address that at the same time or later? I seems it could turn into a defensive or disciplinary process.

Hi Gregg,
The modeling part of being a teacher is to dress and conduct one's self in such a manner that you reflect the standards of the field. You can also ask that your students dress appropriately and safely for the career area. You should not put yourself in the position of policing dress. This sets up the wrong atmosphere for the class. Through example and encouragement you can help your students to "grow" in their understanding of the what is acceptable in the work place.
Gary

This is a standard policy at our school. It tends to serve several purposes at the same time. It gives you an instant temerature reading on the student in case he is out of his normal demeanor. It also shows a good level of empathy and open a oppertunity if a students needs to talk. We have a dress code policy and this allows us to give some of the students a little tune-up as they enter the room.

I had not considered this approach but it makes sense. My approach is to have each student state his/her name and I repeat it to them and make it a point to address each student by their name for the first few days. We seem to get to connect with one another faster that way. I will give this idea a try.

Greeting a student before class can show a student that you aknowledge them as a person rather that a piece of meat in a seat.

Yes but it also gives you a feel for the classes attitude or level of conscienceness.It will also help you plan on your teaching style for the day or maybe you'll just go directly to lab.

I really like this idea. I think that it might be difficult to enforce though. As it is, I have a hard time getting instructors to arrive in class on time. The worst offenders are those who teach in pairs. There is always one of the two that says he/she doesn't need to arrive until after attendance etc....

Nonetheless, I think having a teachers tanding at the door with a smile would make a difference.

Hi Valerie,
It really does make a difference in the classroom management area. That teacher at the door just sets the tone for the day.
The late teachers may need to have a little talking to because by one coming in late they are sending a very clear signal that they are only going to show up when they have to. What kind of message does this send to the students, especially when assignments are due?
Gary

A meet and greet is without a doubt a great way to gauge your students but more importantly, it allows your student their first chance to gauge you. When you are at the front door to greet your students with a smile and even throw in some kind words like “looking good today”, “Way to look professional”, “Nice looking work boots, way to set the standard” can give them a boost and let them know that you have acknowledged that their efforts to impress you have not gone unnoticed.

Sign In to comment