Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

motivating teachers

How can we motivate students without being motivated ourselves? Our faculty has a difficult time in understanding that today's student is different than yesterdays'. any suggestions?

soft skills

How does the human factor in the classroom relate to the soft skills students need to learn to be effective in the work environment?

Motivation

I have read elsewhere that students will only stay in school until they meettheir personal goals. How do we get students to reasses their goals and decide to stay?

Classroom instruction and retention

I think what happens in the classroom is the biggest factor in retention. If students can't find meaning in what they are being taught they will leave. What classroom techniques have you used to keep the material fresh and meaningful to the students?

Games and the adult learner

I find that team games work as well with adults as with children. Does anyone have suggestions for games that have been used successfully in the classrooom with adult learners?

do students learn better in groups?

What are your feelings about group projects?...I've always been against them, but now I'm starting to change my views. Since most companies want to have workers with the "soft skills", can group projects stimulate that learned behavior?

age differences and expectations

In some task oriented classes, like computer skills, older students are reluctant to try new things on their own. Would pairing older students with younger students help get them involved or reinforce their feeling of being too old to learn new things?

Motivation

It's important to have instructors who can discuss certain issues that happen in can arise in the career. Students want to here stories that can provide entertainment and an idea of what it's like out there.

REFOCUS

It is difficult to maintain the students' attention for a long period of time. When instructors "refocus", they give the students an opportunity to re-commit themselves.

Retention Strategies

By constant training in the area of retention, faculty members should become familiar with most retention strategies.

Planning

Understanding your students will help instructors use the proper techniques according to the characteristics of the group.

Introductory Courses

Usually, the outcome of a course of instruction is a specific skill or an ability to do or understand something. However, in introductory type courses where the objective is to more or less lay out the breath of a topic, the outcome appears to be not much more than short-term memory of a variety of subject matter. Can you provide some insight into how best to deal with these type courses and how and what to measure during examinations.