Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Encourage Questions

Many students are afraid to ask questions. They may have been humiliated or embarrassed in the past and are very shy about asking questions. I tell my students at the on-set of the class that I encourage questions. Most of the time other students have the same question and they are thankful that someone was brave enough to ask a question. When students do ask a question, I answer it in as positive a tone as I can and thank them for asking. When they complain that other instructors do not answer or answer in a negative manner, I encourage them to continue asking questions. However, I do point out to them that they must pay close attention to what is being discussed. If they are lost, I suggest that they ask for clarification.

Hi Norma,
Another strategy you might want to try to get those students that are a bit shy about asking questions is to have all students write a question down on a 3x5 card and hand it in. Every student has to write down at least one question. You will see that you can group the questions together as many will deal with the same topics. Then you can answer the questions in class. What you will find is that as you answer the questions even the most shy students will expand on the questions or comment on them. Soon they will be asking questions in class and are becoming a part of the discussion groups.
Gary

I believe that the way you're approaching this matter is correct. Unfortunately your efforts are being diminished by other instructors perhaps this issue should be addressed with that instructor or instructors. To be a successful educator your students have to understand the material and not feel intimidated in doing so.

I watch the reactions on my students faces to make sure they understand concepts, and redirect the instruction if they don't understand.

Hi Deborah,
Good approach to reading the total input from the student. Body language/facial expressions really do tell a clear story.
Gary

I also have had success in simply watching facial expressions.

Hi Rob,
The face does tell a lot doesn't it? An instructor does need to be a keen observer of facial expressions. Sounds like you have it down to a fine science.
Gary

Morma I agree and also I have found in many casses that question that are asked answers some of the question that you know you will get during the class. Student that dont mind asking question is also good for the student that might a little timid and not wnat to ask question. Every student in the class can benifit from questions. The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

Part of being a good instructor is making the students confortable in class or lab. The first day of class the Instructor should explain to the students the importance of questioning. I always told the new class that I have learned more than I have taught. I told them that I would learn from them and all of us would learn from each other. This humble attitude made the students feel a part of the course.

Norma,
I am a relatively new instructor, but I have had no problems with questions. I attribute it to the fact that I share quite a bit about myself on the first day and I ask them questions all the time. The skittle game always seems to work quite well for me too.

As i have been reading the replys i would like to say i like the idea of the 3x5 cards and will use it in my night class tonight thank you.

Sign In to comment