Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Identifying student's that are becoming frustrated.

Because online instructors lack the audio/visual component of student/teacher interactions, I'd like to learn some best practices for identifying the warning signs of an online student becoming frustrated.

Hi Patricia,
Good question. My experience has been based upon how responses are phrased. Do the online learner focus on the questions that have been raised? Do they go off subject? Do they bring outside comments that do not apply directly to the discussion? All of these are indications that things are not going well.
Of course the real obvious one is no response at all. When I notice a lag in the response time I contact the student to see if I can be of help. This often results in the student asking me some questions and I can get them back on track or they start communicating again since I showed the personal interest in them.
Gary

Identifying student frustrations is a daily course for me. I look at every student and try to access there progress in the class room and identiy the students that are making a slower than normal lab or project progress.That way I can head off frustrations by helping before they reach that point in class.

This is good advice. I have found students almost always respond positively from an individualized intervention. They trust me more, show me more respect, and tend to do better in the class.

Most of the time just spending a little more time with the student can really make a difference in the way you perceive where the frustration is coming from

Hi Robert,
The personal touch is so important when working with students. If they know you care and want them to succeed they will be more motivated to be successful. Plus, you do get to know them better and can counter their feelings of frustration when they pop up.
Gary

I agree because if a student is frustrated it will impact their learning and ther ability to take test so it is very important to catch this before it gets out of hand

Hi Joseph,
What are some strategies you have used to help reduce student frustration at different times throughout your courses?
Gary

Sign In to comment