Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Changing up your routine teaching habits

If you continue to keep taking classes and broadening your education, you will observe effective ways to change up your routine of teaching skills, that you can incorporate into your teaching style.

Developing a feeling of community within a small department

A way to get new students to feel like they are part of a community could be to get them involved with extra curricular activites that would be beneficial to their learning experience.

Photoshop and Illustrator classes

When teaching a CAD class where there are varying degrees of pre-existing competencies, is there an effective way of assisting the most needy students without making the other students feel like they are waiting for them to catch up?

Simulated work environment

Instructors in a Career College setting need to establish an employer/employee relationship.

field trips

One method I uses is what I call shadowing. As mentioned in this topic some of these students come from harsh background and have never worked in a professional environment, so they have fears and anxiety. Probably at times wondering, "what am I doing in school!" Shadowing is used basically in Professional Development or another business course. I would call one of the local high schools, county court house, or any professional environment. Call and schedule an appointment for 1 hour. Your class is to sit with a professional in one on one. The student may ask questions, walk around… >>>

How do you Refocus the Director or Academic Dean?

Sometimes the administration needs to be refocused. How do you do it?

student motivation

student motivation has always been an issue. i've taught pretty much every grade from kinder to high school to a community college and now a career college. i've always felt that the knowledge of the subject matter is always the best motivator. this, however, must be in conjunction with other factors of teaching; susch as, humor, empathy or leniency, understanding or caring. once a student see that you are willing to bend over backwards for them they do set to complete their work, and even try to please the instructor, and hopefully with that they learn what is necessary to… >>>

Ability to Benefit Students

If your school has ATB students, do you give them any reading or other tests to help determine the students basic learning abilities?

rapport with students

in my last forum topic i mentioned that the students find me to be a stickler to rules. i, however, do build a good rapport with my students regardless of this perception. i find that if i can relate and interact outside the class i get the needed classroom attention and work product. i build this rapport outside as well as in the classroom by joking around with them. i feel this helps put them at ease.

The classroom as a simulated Work Site

If you use your classroom as a simulated Work Site, how did you set it up and how do you evaluate your students?

how much rewarding should be done?

many of my students feel that i'm am rather a stickler to rules. i feel that a structured environment is conducive to the learning process. i rarely if ever have a class luncheon at the end of our semesters. i try to utilize as much of the classroom time that i possibly can for the students to receive and learn information that will enable them to succeed in the career chosen. i'm my hardest critic in that if the students don't get what they want once they graduate i blame myself for that failure,if you will. so how much should… >>>

social behaviors

recently our school had a couple of verbal altercations amongst students and with educators. when students come in with certain expectations and even high standards from the school and don't receive them they do get frustrated and vent out either verbally or sometimes even physcially. it is understood that educators must be the motivating factor for their education, but how far must one go in motivating students who may have already have a mindset of not following through or even following rules? i am enthusiastic about my decision to educate in a career college, but must i babysit constantly? i… >>>

Motivation

Sharing personal experiences has been a key motivator in my class. I have a wide range of age diversity in my class they all have discouraging times but I am able to share personal experiences that influence all, no matter what the age is and produces encouragement amongst each other. No matter the age, everyone can learn something new!

Active Learning

I find that the most entertaining and productive classes are when all the students participate in the lesson. It gives the opportunity for students to relate the material they are learning with class topics and sometimes it even helps other students understand material better.

Student Retention

I just taught a course on Insurance Billing and Collections and the biggest complaint was difficulty with retention. The textbook contained alot of information and that was frustrating to them. I suggested to my students to break the studies into sections. I told them to make sure to have good notes from the lecture and every night to review their notes and try to read the section in the text which corresponded to my lecture sot that they wouldn't find themselves reading the whole chapter the night before class. The could re-read their class notes and skim through the book.… >>>

Test time limits.

If a student always takes longer than everyone else to complete a timed exam, quiz,or assignment,what should we do? Is it fair to make the rest of the students wait for them to finish? Please help.

Motivation

Not only is it important to be able to effectively motivate your students, but we have to remember to motivate ourselves, as teachers. Often times we can lose sight of what it is we are doing when difficult things come our way outside of work, but it is always important to keep looking up and remember you are there to enlighten someones life! If you are feeling less then motivated to continue, the students can see it and it makes them feel even more uncertain about continuing.

Gaining control of the Talkers!

I know every teacher has experienced these types of students in class, and I am currently dealing with 3 students this quarter who can not seem to cut their side conversation. At times, they are discussing class material however, at other times they are chatting about things that have nothing to do with class, which to say the least can be very frustrating! I have tried different tactics, some working only temporarily, others not working at all, but after having read this module, I feel as though a new light has been shed on the situation and how I can… >>>

Keeping Student Retention Up

I am constantly having to deal with Student Retention, as our program has the lowest in our college. The corporate office often is putting the blame on us, the instructors, as to why our retention is so low. I find something that works with every student no matter what their background, is to get to know them on a personal level and constantly show care and concern for what they are going through, in school and out. I know this was something mention in the module as well, and I can attest to it working. The students feel like they… >>>

Young Students vs. Adult Students

I often find myself having to struggle with the younger students and adult students being at odds with one another. The Adult students are always looking down on the 18-20 year olds as immature kids and the young students are always treating the adult students as they are too old to be in school. I am trying to come up with an activity for each of the groups to interact and see how much they really can learn from one another and how being in a class with such a diverse mix of students will only help them even more.… >>>