Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Frustrations

What advice can you offer concerning fostering better social interactions between students in the classroom? With students ranging in age from 18 to 60 in some of our programs, we occasionally run into very volatile confrontations between class members who are fed up with the "high school mentality" of fellow students, the issue of classroom cliques, and the "he/she was talking about me" complaints. One situation escalated when three women ages 23 to 28 (all mothers!!) began screaming at each each other, the police were called, and the Director of Education threatened to withdraw all three students if they continued to disrupt the education environment. While this eliminated much of the overt hostile behavior, these students continued trying to ensnare others in the controversy whenever the instructor left the classroom. While the obvious solution in this situation was to follow through with the DOE's threat, we need to arm our instructors with strategies to prevent or at least minimize social discontent and interpersonal frustrations/friction among our students.

Hi Scott,
You describe a very difficult situation, though one that has occurred in many class settings. I think as you have described how the situation was handled as being about the only option your college had at that point. My suggestion would be to create learning teams in the classes. These team would be formed using all different ages and interest levels. When I do this I am trying to create a new identity for the students and remove them from their clique group even if it is only for the time in class. I know they we reform themselves outside of class but I can't control that. In creating the groups I try to help all of the students to understand and maybe even respect the differences between each other. A 60 year old has a different outlook than that of a 20 year old. This blending really helps with understanding. Also, I use competitions between the groups and the groups start to unify within themselves so they can "win" the game they are playing.
I remove students when they disrupt the learning of others. I will not allow one student or a small group of students to ruin the class for others.
Gary

Good question. I usually reward students for timing and the accuracy of the task. I teach them that competitition in multicultural environments with aging factors should be welcomed. Inappropriate behaviors is shown disapproval on the spot, just as recognition and praise is. Students are sited for inappropriate behaviors with instant documentation and grade penalties, so that it never reaches the point of having to be sent home or dismissed.

Learning to handle frustration is an important skill that all students need to master in such a stressful environment. As an instructor it is important to identify this early so it can be difused.Often this is mitigated by pointing out, on day one, that there is enormous diversity in class as far as age,experience,cultural background etc. go and offer ways to use this to the advantage of all.In addition setting clear guidelines as to what is allowed and what is not (in terms of behavior-ex no throwing things swearing etc)thus establishing limits. The instructor might give some personal examples of how counting to ten or a similar technique could help those prone to frustration a way to slow down and look at the big picture. Often students who frustrate easily are afraid of failure. When I remind them that the goal is not perfection and that we often learn more through our mistakes in class (and life)than they are relieved of some pressure. Low tolerance for frustration is common in students with ADD and ADHD so if these students are self identified to the instructor in advance accomodations can be made such as tutoring, verbal testing etc. I wonder if you think grouping students of like abilities using entrance test scores is better than mixing challenged with advanced. We have had some discussion of pretesting as a way to group students.
thank you,
Barbara

Hi Barbara,
Well said. You make a number of very good points that I know will be of help to other participants.
Gary

Sign In to comment