Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Job placement as motivation

By bringing in former graduates who are working in their prospective fields as guest speakers or critics for final projects, we can show our students how the relevance of their learning.

Hi Judy,
I think using former graduates as guest speakers really helps to make "real" the training the students are receiving and helps them to see what lies ahead for them. It serves to encourage and motivate them to keep enrolled and progressing.
Gary

We bring in former graduates to conduct portfolio reviews of the student's current work. It keeps the end game in mind as well as motivating students from the real world perspecitve in addition to that of the teacher.

Yes Judy! I agree. Guest speakers are a great supplement to the learning community that we work so hard to establish.

Hi Charles,
I really like the portfolio review idea. This is one that I have used for a number of years with great results. I am sure you find that your students really start to see how what they have been learning can be applied, plus they get reviewed by a professional in the field. That is as good as it gets.
Gary

Students being exposed to former students with success stories is a powerful motivator. I have also encouraged employers of students who have graduated to participate in classroom discussions as well, and that seems to work well.

Job placement or externships should be implimented at a mid point in their learning to reinvigorate their energies and redirect their concentration. Why is this not done more frequently?

Hi Michele,
I think the biggest reason for not having externships at midpoint is the curriculum. There is a perception that to have the students step out for a period of time to work in their career area would slow them down. I don't believe that this is true but it often expressed by career college administrators. One of the alternatives to an externship is service learning. Many colleges are going to this. The students do a community service learning project that is short in duration but allows them to directly apply their newly acquired knowledge and skills in the "real world" while helping others.
Many technical colleges are going to staggered externships, which means that students go out as often as 6 times to learn about their field before serving a form of apprenticeship at the conclusion of their training.
Gary

I emphasize something related to job placement in each course. It helps them to see that they are closer to reaching their goals. It also helps them to refocus or get back on track. I use a couple of graduates so that they can have more than one view. I also have the graduates stress all the things they would have changed if they had to do it all over again, and what courses not to slack off in. In addition, the graduates talk to the class concerning the importance of certification.

I spent a few months helping out at a school in the Long Beach, CA., area and they very effectivley used the accomplished graduate as a role model to inspire current students to strive for similar success. The student would describe his/her career progression upon their graduation. The successful graduate also encourage future graduates to seek career opportunities with "targeted employers." From what I observed of this process it was highly effective for all parties.

Hi Philip,
Thank you for the comments about using successful graduates as role models for students. By seeing someone not to distantly removed from their own status as students they can see how they themselves can be in that situation. They start to believe that success is possible for them.
Gary

Sign In to comment