Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

How to react to a negative feedback from students?

I have, for the most part, have a great relationship and rapport with my students.  Rarely though, I get negative feedback from them  (inattention, making faces, etc.).  How do you keep this to the minimum and point out the negative behaviour without embarrasing the student involved?

Building Rapport

I have found that students are more motivated and engaged in succeeding in the course when a rapport is built without the first two classes.

Motivating Students

I realize how important it is to identify and motivate students based on what motivates them. I also see that being enthusiastic about the field that you are teaching really makes a difference in preparing students fro the career that they have chosen to be in.

Rentention

What are some effects strategies in motivating students who are not interested in being in class?

ED 209 Students as Customers

In institutions of higher education, student retention is enhanced when the faculty is familiar with the concept of students as customers, implements effective communication techniques, and sets guidelines for advising and mentoring students.  Faculty needs to focus on the learning needs of the students and realize that academic and non-academic factors influence the success of each student.

Overcome the fear of failure

Fear of failure is the reason many students do not start and in my experience the reason some do not finish or drop out early.

This section was extremely valuable for me because I have to start from day one to consistently reinforce and reward students.

I especially like the part about helping students overcome challenges without feeding into complaining. It's a balancing act, empathy,

understanding, and helping them to stay focused on the goal by constantly reminding students that they deserve a future and a life they can

be proud of.  Following our brand, give students a reason to… >>>

ED102

Intrinsic vs extrinsic motivators

The course treats this topic as if all the motivators mentioned are cut-and-dried one, the other, or both.  I disagree.  Just about anything can be an intrinsic motivator, even grades and a good job.  It depends on the motivator's value as perceived b the individual.  Getting a good job, for example, is certainly an extrinsic motivator because it resluts in rewards that can be easily seen by others, but for most people it is also very much an intrinsic motivator because it provides a sense of accomplishment that is purely internal.

great information

This was very important info, and is great input to put into play for your students.

Develop Intervention Programs

One of the most efficient ways to improve student retention is to reach at-risk students before they leave the university. Institutions like Beaufort County Community College do this by implementing an early alert student referral program: Students who are experiencing academic, personal, financial or social problems receive a letter informing them of the college's resources and available workshops that can help them address the issue at hand.

Mnemonics

Do they really help?

How can you become successful in college?

College and success

English language deficiencies

I would like your help on finding resources and agencies that will provide us with materials and assistance in our effort to offer quality instruction to English language deficiency learning groups. please.

Thank you.

How do you remember student names that are hard to pronounce?

How do you remember student names that are hard to pronounce?

Important

important information

Value of Course

How many of you think that this course was valuable

Enhance teaching style

How would you describe your teaching style?

internal motivation

When teaching adult learners, what ways are best to spark internal motivation when it is lacking?

Enhancing motivation among younger/VS/more adult-mature students

I try almost everything on the book to motivate younger inmature students! I used intrinsic, extrinsic motivators! what else, can I use to implement and increase their motivation! In the other hand, my older, more mature students; I did not have to use hardly ever any kind of intrinsic/extrinsic motivators. They were motivated already!...

Adult Learners

Excellent topic