Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learn about students career goals

One way I like to start a class with a new group of students is to ask them why they chose this particular field/career - in my case, Interior Design.

Hi Cristina,
I am sure you get some real interesting answers. A key part of getting feedback from your students as to why they chose interior design as a career would be their perspective and understanding of what the career is really all about. This can give you an excellent starting point for introducing the basic concepts of the field.
Gary

I agree with this technique as the student's response gives the instructor some insight into the student's perception of the field/career.

When I first began teaching occasionally I would get some outrageous responses to a similar question…”What is your ultimate career goal?” in my case the field is Fashion Merchandising. Some of the common responses were “I want to be a stylist to the stars” or “I want to a CEO of...” After several times of receiving outrageous responses I thought I came up with a solution.

When I received an outrageous response, I then asked the student “what is your strategy to reaching that goal?” Often times the student was light hearted in their response and would admit they had not thought about a strategy. However I did notice they seemed a bit put off by my question. I would then take the opportunity to point out that although it is not impossible to reach those types of goals that very few individuals will achieve that level of success in the fashion industry. It did not take long for me to realize that posing a question about the student's strategy in that manner was not a solution or benefit to anyone.

Since making that realization I came up with a solution that has greatly minimized outrageous responses and in doing so allows students to become more realistic in their awareness and approach to their career goals.

On the first day of each class after the presentation of the syllabus and course work schedule; I ask the students to fill out a Student Contact sheet containing the following: the students first and last name a contact phone number (the best phone number to reach them directly) and email (one that they check frequently) as well as posing the following questions “Do you currently work in the field and what is your position?” “What do you plan to do after graduating from the program” and “What is your ultimate career goal?”

After the students fill out the Contact sheet each student introduces themselves to the class using the Contact sheet questions as a basis for their introduction. Our class sizes are relatively small so it takes no longer than 10 or 15 minutes at the most for introductions.

The Student Contact sheet coupled with introductions is technique and tool I have found to be effective for the following reasons:

Serves as an ice breaker for students to learn about each other and in some cases student responses have motivated other students in the class to think more about their current position or career goals

As an instructor I can emphasis the importance of course content as related to the student's responses or in some case debunk myths and unrealistic hear say about the industry adding to the students career knowledge base.

Having the student write down their answers allows them the opportunity to take the time to think about career in a realistic manner verse a flippant response.

Serves as a reference for contacting the student. In some cases I am informed of job opportunities or extra curricular fashion related activities where student's participation is required. In addition to the students class performance the Student Contact sheet is reference to remind me of the student's career interest so that I can recommend the right student for the opportunity.

The information can be shared with Internship Program facilitators, Career Services and other departments and instructors at the college to better understand students career aspirations thus allow others at the college to better meet the students educational and career placement needs.

Hi Shannon,
Thank you for sharing the strategies you use in getting a class started and helping your students with realistic career goals.
What strategies have you found most effective in getting a new course started?
Gary

I love the answers the students give.

Hi Deborah,
I can tell this is one of the fun parts of teaching for you. For sure teaching is never dull. New students give new answers which keeps our work very interesting.
Gary

knowing thier career goals i think is good,it helps you relate this course or shop dicusions to their goals in this field.

Hi Sidney,
You are right about knowing their career goals. This will help you to direct their career growth while in your classes. As you know a lot of teaching is about mentoring student growth and this is one of the ways it can be helped along.
Gary

Sign In to comment