Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning disability or lack of interest

I am also interested in the understanding of lack of interest, time management skills, etc... versus learning disability problems. How do instructors deal with situations like that?

Hi Cristina,
Learning disabilities are when learners cannot decode and recode material they are working with. Example of this is dyslexia. Dyslexia is when the learner has problems with identifying letter shapes or reverses them. Common ones are reversing d or b, p or q, m or w plus letters, words and sentences that run together. Also these learners have trouble with working within spaces. A way of helping these learners is to put problems or case studies in side of boxes. This focuses the eyes of the learners in a confined space and enables them to stay focused longer.
I would suggest that the admissions office get a diagnostic assessment that could be administered if you suspect a student has a learning disability.
The TABE (Test of Adult Basic Literacy) is another assessment that can be used to see if the learner is deficient in reading skills or in fact does have a learning disability.
Gary

I met with a deaf student this morning. He was very frustrated with Course 17/Basic Electrical. He has failed the course once and is having issues the second time through. He has his test read to him through an Interpretor. He said he wanted visual help with the test. We explained that electricity is invisable and he needed to learn concepts. I suggested he draw his on pictures when he takes the test. He should visualize the concepts and put this on paper instead of being shown the material. This will help in the future in his career.

Hi Tim,
Good strategy for helping a student with a disability. Having worked with many students that are deaf I have found that they are developmentally delayed in many cases when it comes to grasping certain concepts as they are internalizing these concepts to their understanding and ability to use. Once they have gotten the concepts they do very well in the classes. They also have been some of my most successful graduates.
Gary

GREETINGS!

On the lack of interest:

I am not quite sure where-you're-coming-from, however, I can relate to the lack of interest issue with my students. I simply take the student aside and discuss their issues/concerns, goals & desires in a brief style. I look at the class and the overall grand scheme of things in the program that they are attending. If it a course issue, I sometimes chalk-it-up as lack of interest (ie: math vs. their major focus ie: culinary arts). Other times I discover that the school or program is not what they envisioned... perhaps they thought that they would learn a great deal more of a certain subject, maybe they desire to change degree majors.

Learning Disabilities:

More & more I am finding that someone has a disability - and I discover this on my own via exam grading not though administration or the students. It is at times a surprise when I receive a completed exam & the individual scores a failing grade with little to no attempt to fill in the short answers or scores a 50% on the true/false segment. I have a hard time dissemenating weather one is truly disabled, ill-prioritized, or lazy when it comes to homework.

I have also encountered learning dissabilities such as def or dislexia in my course 17/Basic electronics and course 22/Electronic technologies.
As much as I hate to pay special attention to one student once in awhile I have no choice. Once realized there is an issue with the students inability to understand certain ideas(this usually happens after the first test in the class) I quickly adjust my method of teaching. For example I have also had a def student in my class and found that the use of more illustrations on my white board was the way to get throught to this individual.In addition to the illustrations direct eye contact with that student when I spoke to him gave him a feeling that I wanted him to understand what I was saying so it made him more willing to accept it. (The student told me this himself at the end of the three week course)

Hi Raymond,
Glad to hear about your positive experiences with students with disabilities. Your examples show that you can have success with these students through minor adaptations and modifications that give them instructional support.
Gary

I recently had a deaf student and her interpreter in my class for the first time in my teaching experience. It took a day or two for me, as well as the other students, to adjust to this new environment. However, this student was more determined to succeed than many of the other students in the class. She did have reading problems, but was able to do very well. She was an inspiration to the other students.

I was concerned about her connecting with the other students. Again, it took a while, but she formed friendships with many others in the class.

Hi Amy,
Good story. Thanks for sharing it with the participants. I have had a number of deaf students and they all were able to successfully complete the course requirements with the proper supports. The key for me was a good interpreter and I have always had great ones, that were able to interpret technical terms for my students.
Gary

We get a few students who have met our entrance requirements (HS diploma or equivalent)who either cannot read or do simple math problems. From an instructors standpoint this might be difficult to identify because the student is understandably embarrassed and will employ various strategies to hide their limitation(s). They may appear to be learning disabled, but they have no documented accommodation. They often appear to be disinterested and/or are disruptive in class. Usually they don't take notes and make little or no use of the course book. If asked to work a problem on the board or in their seats they often will do nothing at all. It's tempting and expedient to conclude they are just immature or just poor learners, however the discipline or tutoring that might help a disruptive or slow student never gets to the root problem. As an instructor we must be prepared to look deeper into a students problem because sometimes it is much bigger and much more fundamental than we expect.

I have never thought that because a student could not read or do math they learning disabled, one of the finest mechanics that I ever worked with could not read, and could barely sign his name to his check. His wife handled all of the paperwork in his family. When I have a student a student that has problems, I try to work a little more with them, give them more verbal encouragement, and even in one case recently when one of the students brought his grades up, I presented him with a diploma signed by myself and the Education Manager. Most of the times with positive reinforcement they will turn around and become good students. Not always, but sometimes. With a little faith and positive reinforcement sometimes they will come out of the shell.

Rod Jerls

Sign In to comment