Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting the information into long term memory & using it.

Often students are motivated to get a good grade, but fail to “own” the information. I encourage my students to “own” the information rather than just learn it to pass a test. If they review the material, find it relevant to their furture lives, discuss it, try to teach it to someone and if possible apply it; then they “own” it. In other words they have put it into long term memory. Then when they need to use it in the real world they have it. Or can easily go to the source for details.

Student need to be encouraged to "own" knowledge and skills.

Hi Norma,
Well said. They must "own" the information as you said. You can explain to them that they have only so much "human resource capital" and they need to use that capital to learn information and skills that will enable them to transfer those skill sets to the real world setting.
Gary

Has anyone used
SEE ONE
DO ONE
TEACH ONE?

I am fortunate that I teach an electrical program where students are given lecture and have to put it to work immediately. In this manner they secure the information because they have to use it and they get an immediate look at what the lecture is about. Any time a student can put their hands on something you are talking about they really get a good understanding of the material presented.

Hi Phillip,
Good point about application. The students get the content and then apply it. That is what skill development is all about.
Gary

Sign In to comment