Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assessments as possible problems?

By providing students with the opportunity to assess each project, could this create an atmosphere where students will question their assignments? Could this be detrimental to achieving course objectives?

I agree; I can see that being counterproductive.

Dan

Hi Geoffrey,
I'm not exactly clear by what you mean assess each project. Do all of the students evaluate each other's projects? Do they evaluate their own and if so what is the criteria by which they do it? Do they have a score sheet to follow or just write down their own perspectives on how they did?
All of these questions factor into how this process will be received. Group evaluations and individual evaluations each have their merits. You just need to review how effective you see each being or you can use both.
In my experience I have not seen them as being detrimental to achieving course objectives. I have seen them as being supportive because it allows the students to see another form of application.
Gary

I was referring to the opportunity given to students by instructors to assess the project. I believe that this may empower students too much by taking away the instructor's control over project requirements.

Hi Geoffrey,
Thank you for the additional information. You are correct on that point. You need to have a role in the total evaluation of projects process. I often have student evaluate projects for 60 to 75% of the score and I then evaluate the project for the remainder. This way I have retained control of the process but have allowed other input and other eyes to see the work that is being done.
Gary

The students, I believe, will learn to understand requirements and needed knowledge by sometimes participatimg in the assessment of assignments.

Hi Patrick,
I believe that they will benefit as well. Another plus will be the input for instructional improvement. The more feedback instructors can receive the more opportunities there will be for improvement down the road.
Gary

During Lab, when a student is ready for an assignment check off, I usually ask them if they have checked their work and are sure they are ready. I always recieve a "yes, I am ready". I would assume that if they were to assess themselves, it would be for a high grade. This is where I have a problem. During my inspection of the work performed, there are usually faults found, some of the faults are even safety related.
I think it would be good idea to involve the student in the assessment process, but not to the point that it carries any weight for their scoring. It does, however, serve as another teaching tool for the student to check their own work prior to requesting a check off. Giving them an opportunity to correct the short-comings.

As instructors we stress the importance of correct paperwork, in the field the need for correct documentation is vital to the flow of the shop. It seems that the students are so worried about "throwing" information on lab sheets they miss the big picture. I tell them at the beginning of class that anyone can write down numbers, the idea is to learn from what you are doing, experiment to gain the most out of the lab time given, yet, they will turn in papers with information missing sometimes they have not bothered to put their name on the sheet.I tell the students what is expected of them in the grading process, I even have sample Ro's showing what correct paperwork should look like. Most get it and the ones that do not have that reflected in their grade.

Sign In to comment