Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Student comprehension

Over the last few years I have noticed an increase in the amount of students unable to read and write. I understand some of the career change students, but students fresh out of High School unable to spell or formulate a sentence! When the students turn in their lab sheets I truely have a hard time understanding what they have attempted to write. Have others noticed this or is it a region thing?

frustrtion

how do you get student to care

vacation

how many week vaction should instructor get

Fun!

I find that if you can have a little fun in class,this helps every one relax it dose not have to be all pain all the time.

"The Briefing"

I teach Crime Scene Technology, which is a very hands-on aspect of forensic training. Much of our curriculum is geared toward what feels like on-the-job training. In keeping with this, I like to begin each day by conducting a "briefing," just as is done in a law enforcement setting. This way, the students feel as if they are coming to work, not to class. By treating them like professionals and calling them crime scene technicians, they have responded as such and our briefings get better and better!

Breaking the boredom

During my classes we cover a large varity of topics in a short time. I find that by adding a "real life' situation or story that actualy happened in my past tends to drive home the point of that particular lesson. Students connect better to something that is real and not just words from a book.

Disability limitations and job realities

WE SOMETIMES HAVE STUDENTS WHO COME THROUGH OUR CLASSES WITH DISABILITIES THAT WOULD PREVENT THEM FROM EARNING A LIVING IN OUR FIELD. WE DO OUR BEST TO TREAT THEM AS WE WOULD ANY OTHER STUDENT IN THE COURSE, SHOULD WE STILL ENCOURAGE THESE STUDENTS, OR SHOULD WE BE HONEST AND COACH THEM MORE TOWARDS TREATING THE COURSES AS HOBBIES

Student motivation

Any facilitator will tell you the ability to motivate anyone, much less a student, is easier said than done. Motivation can mean something different for individuals, some are motivated by the challenge and others by the potential of getting a better job, while others need more tangible motivators, like a nice home or a bigger car.

Keep your focus

In today's learning environment, there are many innovative tools available to assist both student and instructor to remain focused. With such an excellerated environment, students expect to be engaged constantly, which is a challenge for any facilitator.

Student retention

In my current place of employment, student retention is everyones responsibility. It is very interesting to observe several methods utilized by the instructor staff to encourage students to "stay the course", but I think all methods have one common thread, and that is genuine concern. The students feel that their instructor truly cares are generally the students who remain in school.

Understand student characteristics

As a student working towards my undergraduate degree in business, I have the unique ability to view both sides. It is in my opinion that the classification of "student" has evolved over the years, it is no longer uncommon to see an older student learning side-by-side with a student who just graduated from high school. I think it benefits all because it always students of different generations learn how to work with each other.

Understanding our students

Attempting to understand our students is not always easy. Not only do we have the cultural, and other obstacles that come naturally. We are sometimes faced with the student that has grown up economically disadvantaged. I have had students that were gang members and came from an environment that I simply could not comprehend. Drugs, Violence, absent parents,sexual abuse, ect, ect. Sometimes getting in touch or at least understanding these students can be very fullfilling both professionally and personnally. Just something to think about.

incomplete assignments

I teach students in upper division courses in a technology management BS degree program. I have a couple of students that continue to only do half of the assignment. I outline the requirements at the beginning of the course and send reminders during the course to no avail. Any ideas on how to further motive them to do all of the work? Thanks.

Students missing basic skills

In this section the class makes reference to students who are missing a basic like skill. For example computer skills, writing or reading skills, or communication skills. My question is how do I help them be sucessfull in my class and not change the level of depth for the rest of the students?

Recharging Your Batteries

I teach for a career college and have very little ability to personalize instruction materials (the slides, etc. were put together by someone else). I do my best to personalize my lectures but it is difficult to go over the same material without being able to personalize it. Consequently, I find it difficult to "recharge my batteries." This feeling is exacerbated by the fact that the courses are six weeks long, so I go through the same lectures regularly. I realize that my situation may be unique, but has anyone experienced this or have any tips for me to get… >>>

Retention through anticipation

One method that I use in teaching is anticipation. Some concepts that will be seen further on in the course will be introduced earlier through seperate exercises. Once the concepts have been introduced, when the student reaches the same concept in his/her text, the "ah ha" will come. For example, in teaching a reading course, it is important to know the topic/main idea of a passage. However, sometimes figurative language or inferences may interfere with the earlier comprehension. Before we explore figurative language, I use handouts and/or readings beforehand. When the students reach the particular area in the course, they… >>>

The 60-second term paper

The suggestion of the 60-second term paper is good if the duration of the class is 60 minutes or less. I teach longer sessions of up to four hours in length, sometimes at night. I find it a challenge just to have the students' attention at the end of the session. Is there a way to adapt this stategy to longer sessions?

Keeping students interested

How would you bring a student back to the conversation if you notice them looking bored and not focusing?

Deaf Student at Career College

I recently taught Business Law I to a class of 20 including one deaf student. A sign language interpreter was provided for the student. She was very motivated to achieve and to succeed in the class. She participated by signing her questions and comments; the interpreter spoke for her and signed in response whatever was occurring in class. The most challenging part of her presence in class was the distraction of the interpreter to the other students although that lessened as the course went on. It was a challenging experience for me as an instructor. The student earned a B… >>>

Involved in the process

I found that students, both active and passive learners, definitely want to be involved in the process; however, academic insecurity can prevent them from doing so. What works well in this case is to ensure the instructor ends each class with a list of items from the students that they feel they will need more help on tomorrow (written on the whiteboard for all to see). This accomplishes several things. First: It is an immediate indicator as to whether or not the instructor got through to the students. Second: The student knows that his/her questions will be answered as part… >>>