Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Forum 2

students with disability can and have creat challenges in the classroom, however this is the challenge that I love the most. I often have students sharing their mental health problem with me.

Students without disclosure of a disability

What happens if a student with a disability does not disclose that they have a disability right away and are only stright forward after questioning them regarding their poor performance are we obligated to go back and make a accomadations to previous work in the middle of a quarter.

Equal Opportunity

I think evryone should have the right to an education regardless of their handicap.

Keeping up with information

Constantly checking new rules or regulations is very important in doing our job correctly. I enjoyed learning more about the Resource Notebook and how it can help you organize and maintain this information. Does anyone have any other creative ideas on how they stay up to date with managing all of the information we need to know to be successful and stay ethical?

Learning Disability

Not easy to recognize, if you have a large class. Any thoughts?

ACICS specific criteria for the Academics

Specifically what to do to provide proof of "Learning Outcome." Or specifics of Self-Study and CEP for each department.

Non-Monetary motivational strategies

We don't have a program for that at this time, but we do receive a positive feed back from the school of our good efforts.

Safe Harbor

At our school, there hasn't been an impact, we are still moving forward with positive results

Ethical Practices

1. No changes to the enrollment agreement can be made with out student and staff are sitting together at the same time. 2. Full disclosure of the students write to access their file at anytime. 3. Making sure that all Financial Aid questions are answered by Financial Aid Officer.

Providing Disclosures

Our institution provides 1.What our cost are,2.what the average debt is,3.On time graduation rate and placement rates for all programs.

Catalog Information

I refer frequently to S.A.P.'s "Satisfactory Academic Progress" Policy. First I review the performance standard required by the school, as well as attendance. Then show the scheduled hours when the continuing reviews will occur, as well as the Determination of Progress that will reflect on the financial aid that could be affected during this time.

Exit counseling

We review and hand out the exit guide as well as review payment plans.

Elisiting New Referrals

I would offer the students our information and cards, giving them our number to have them contact us, then with their permission contact the prospect.

Create audits

If a company does not have an audit system in place what is the best way to get everyone involved and consistant with it?

compliance course

Good course! Used some motivational techniques such as "Best in Class" certificates for the student with the highest grade, and class participation. This piece of paper they can include in their portfolios, and can present when interviewing for a job.

Online Training

As far as online training goes, this was an extremely efficient and effective program. The information provided was clear and accurate. I did enjoy the posts, as they gave me a chance to see what other people were thinking. I was also glad to see that instructors as well as admissions representatives take the course. I must admit, however, the quizzing was a bit worrisome.

Careful

You have to be very mindful of the law--HIPPA and FERPA especially. Sharing information even with parents at times is illegal if the student opts not to grant them access.

My role

My role is to understand and accommodate the students needs in the learning environment.

Assisting thos with Disabilities

It is very importnat to make every effort to accommodate students with disabilities so that they are getting the fair education they deserve.

Accomodating a Learning Disability

My student had a learning disability. Functionally, she had difficulty in choosing words to speak and difficulty correctly spelling the term. She knew the term. During office hours, I spent time with her to review the concepts/definition and place them on flash cards. I identified early that Repetitiveness was key to her exam success. I also noted on the first exam that she was spelling words the way she spoke them. I changed the format of the exam to Multiple Choice for all students, without changing the integrity of the test. After taking this course, I am curious if I… >>>