Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Obligation versus reality

When is it ok to acknowledge that a student is not successful in a particular course. We give them the information; positive, negative and optional, allow them to make the decision to either stay and fail or move on to another program that they are better equiped. I understand that accomadating students for success is not the same as them being successful but if the instructor can see that the student and the career path are not in line when and who tells the student the truth. Or do we allow them (the student) to spend (or waste) a great… >>>

Student with disability

I noticed that during class a student could not wright any words correct. After class I called her, and she started crying, and told me that she knew why I was calling her. She decided not to stay in class. I did not know what to do next and passed it to the DOE.

THe student wants to bring her dog to class

She states that; because of her anxiety she needs her dog near her. It was not brought to any ones attention before she started her classes. What should we do?

Students ith disability

Some students with disability can and have creat challenges in the classroom, but they overcome their problems focising on what they need to do....

Student with disability

I do believe that the school should say something to the students. just don't lead them into something that they will not be able to do.

accommodations

many will complain about "extra" help for people with disabilities, regardless of the disability and how it is unfair regarding a perceptive "grade increase" however I try to focus my students on being competitive with themselves, not anyone else. I grade them according to THEIR ability, not as compared to anyone else in the class.

My role

Our role will always be to provide information and allow students to make an informed decision.

access to education

Access to education elimate disability.

Impact of disability in classroom

Some students with disability can and have creat challenges in the classroom.

communication barrier

I believe ESL should be considered as a disability and student should be given more test time.

Need to know

Are there any guidelines as to when/if the administration of an institution should reach out to a faculty member regarding a disabilty a student may have?

Separation of duties

In our company we have many departments that support our schools. The processing of financial aid is not handled at the school level, the processing is taken care of in our home office. in our home office we have separate departments that are assigned various duties. We have a financial aid office,a business office, accounting department and an operations department that all serve to handle student financial aid and tuition accounts.

accom.

I do not see a problem with giving students some extra time if it is what they need.

the impact of disability

There can be many issues when it comes to disability and the ability for students to get the knowledge that they need.

legal obligations

I do believe that the school should say something to the students. just don't lead them into something that they will not be able to do.

Physical disabilities

How is it legal to have a multiple level facility without an elevator? How would the law protect someone that was permanantly in a wheelchair and could not access classes located somewhere other than the ground floor?

CM 270 course comments

Having just finished the online compliance course, I must say that I appreciate COMTA's time and energy for organizing the course. There is such a great deal of information to absorb and understand, and now the action begins. My questions are: what are the major stumbling blocks in putting the SSR together, and what are some specific learnings for your school that you have gained as a result of the SSR?

Why do Students Leave?

Most students enroll in your institution to further their education and improve their lives. In your opinion why do students withdraw from your institution before graduating?

Compensation

The federal regulations prohibit compensation directly or indirectly related to student enrollments. By comparing the approved and unapproved methods explain which methods are most effective.

CAN-SPAM

What is the single most important item you learned about emailing students and how will it change your daily communication style?