Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Does the timeliness of the disclosure matter?

I have a student who went into a business orientated program where computer use was a large part of the cirriculum. The student is now entering her last term and nearing graduation. She never disclosed that she would require any accomodations at any point along the way. One of the exit requirements is a typing certificate at a particular speed. She has been unable to meet that speed and going into her last term she is now trying to get it waived. She was able to complete all her classes successfully up until this point. Her intended line of work… >>>

Helping Students Find There Career Path

As an incoming admission representative, I am excited to begin meeting with potential students to help them begin on a career path that will set up a foundation for their rest of the lives. It is very important to understand what the student is interested in and how those skills can be translated into a career path. It is our job to guide the student into the program that fits their skill and personality set so they can parlay those skills into a successdul career!

ADD/ADHD

This course is causing me to reflect on my learning experiences through out my educational career. I have always loved history, english and social sciences but have a hard time with math and science. During tests, I would do well and get the answers correct but towards the end of the exam, I would get tired and distracted with the process and "throw away" the test buy just answering what i thought was the best choice. Going back over the test, I knew most of the answers but was ready to finish the test. I think it is possible that… >>>

The Changing of America

The Civil Rights Acts of the 1960's has really shaped American for the better. In the past people with phyisical or mental handicaps were exlcuded from society as a whole and even locked away in institutions because society did not know how to accomdiate these people.Today it is common place to see wheelchair access, rails on stairwells and hanicap parking. Some years ago, this was not the case. What are some other changes you have seen in the past few decades to make sure all American citizens are given a chance to make a living and be a productive member… >>>

Financial aid available to students with a disability

Even though an individual may not be able to accomadate a specific program, why are they eligible for financial aid?

Wheelchair access

Should schools be alloted funds for wheelchair access?

Disabled students

When students are disabled should they receive special treatment?

ADA

Institution Management must ensure that there is available and adequate faculty for reasonable accommodations.

Training

The training was very helpful. There are many new rules and regulations that were covered in the modules. It will be great to have a refresher course once a year to make sure regulations are still the same.

Transparency

It is important that we pursue transparency and maintain high standards in our schools. Give an example of how your school has followed this and what the outcome has been.

online training

This was my first online training via MaxWeb. I found it to be bery beneficial.

FERPA

For the students that are interested, we have FERPA Release Forms they can sign. If someone calls claiming to be a student requesting any information we have them give us certain details such as DOB, SS#, Graduation Date, etc. before giving details. Are there additional quidelines we should follow for over the phone requests?

Unacceptable Proof of Graduation

Does anyone know if there is a website that lists Schools and their locations which have been deemed UNACCEPTABLE for "Proof of High School Graduation"? I've been told there are websites where you can purchase High School Diplomas.

CM202

I had just completed the CM202 modules. Very informative, especially for a first time in a career college. There were many new rules and regulations for me, and keeping the Notebook is a great idea for a refresher.

CM305

Great training that is up to date with current policy changes in the industry. Keeping up with the rules and regulations for the admissions process is enhanced by the training offered in these courses.

The Human Factor

This module is very helpful because it talks about a lot of stuff as technical standards, avoiding stereotypes, no pre-admission inquiries, know your limits, and confidentiality in admissions. There is a phrase that is "Don't judge a book by its cover." People in society are judging other people by their appearance such as how the way he or she looks.

The Accomdation Process

This module talks about the difference between access verus success, WHo Holds The Documentation, Who Makes The Decision, Who Delivers The Service, Thinking Outside THe Box, Relating Documentation to Accomdation, Ocer-Accomdation and Unfair Advantage, and Unversal Design. Universal Design was first used by architect Ron Mace in the mid-1980s to descrive the concept of designing all products and the environment to be usable to the greatest extent possible by everyone. Ron Mace would have wanted that in our society today that we rarely think about its importance or its impact in our daily lives. An example of Universal Design is… >>>

The Impact of Disability

This module talks about the fiunctional limitations of each disabilty such as blind stuents, deaf students, chronic helath impairments students, Learning disabilties students, ADHD students, PTSD(Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder), Autistic Students, Aspeger Syndrome Students, Traumatic Brain Injuries Students, and Disabled Veterans. Everybody has strengths and weaknesses. In addition, everybody wants to succeed in their lives. In the How Hearing Impacts Learning of this module, Helen Keller was asked one time whether she would considered blindness or dearfness to be the more significant handicap. She said, "Blindness is a barrier between people and things. Deafness is a barrier between people and people."

Legal Obligations and Opportunities

This module is very helpful because it talks about a lot of stuff. The key is to allow students to reach their potential on what they want to pursue in their career. From my experience, I have autism and I had an accomdation that was extended test time on my tests. The accomdation helped me out tremendously because I could focus more on the tests instead of rushing through to get in time. Once I graduated from college, I knew I reached my potential and I proved to myself that you know what just because I have a disabiltiy, it… >>>

Attendance as an accommodation

We have previously had issues where our strict attendance policy is viewed by disabled students as inherently discriminatory. They have expressed the opinion that it does not enable them to meet their needs of doctor appointments, physical therapy, etc. Our position has been that successfully participating in classroom learning is an essential component of the curriculum- as is meeting the contact hours that are required. After all this is not a correspondence course. Is there distinctions that should be made, and how do we stay out of the gray areas here?